question about upgrading a laptop

packersfan036

Estimable
May 27, 2015
I have the new dell g7 gaming laptop, do I need to disconnect the battery? or disconnect and remove the internal battery before upgrading parts? im replacing the ram, and adding a 2.5" ssd drive.

Solution

jatin3489

Great
May 5, 2018
just take out your battery and make sure to ground yourself to avoid any static charge dispersion. plus no need to remove any internal parts the only thing u can upgrade are ram and storage which doesn't need that much off effort just the back plate !

packersfan036

Estimable
May 27, 2015

its a internal battery, and im just replacing the ram, and adding a 2.5" ssd drive. im inside my apartment, so how exactly would I ground myself?

jatin3489

Great
May 5, 2018

If u have any metal part of if u have a pc just touch the back of that pc's power supply and make sure that the socket it's connected is turned on but the switch at the back of your power supply should be off or any metal in your house connected to the wall . But will prefer the psu and try to do that frequently its actually a precaution .

packersfan036

Estimable
May 27, 2015

I only have a laptop, no pc.

jatin3489

Great
May 5, 2018

Touch any metal thing which is connected to the ground i will say the grill in your windows but make sure its not painted .

packersfan036

Estimable
May 27, 2015

should I remove the battery first, or just disconnect it?

jatin3489

Great
May 5, 2018

Removing the battery would have been fine if it's external but in your case scince it's internal just disconnect it and you will be fine !

packersfan036

Estimable
May 27, 2015

ok so just disconnect it? no need to remove it? im asking cause the manual says remove it. but if I don't have to then that's ok with me.

jatin3489

Great
May 5, 2018

Removing your battery is just making sure that there is no source of power in the system thus when upgrading or doing any changes could go wrong .
thus its recommended to remove the battery . I will also recommend to remove the battery even if its internal but only if u can put it back with no hasel . But if its a tricky business. then i will suggest just disconnecting it will also do the thing.

Solution

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Unlike in the past when a battery was a removable module, modern laptops like the Dell G7 have the battery built in. It can be removed but it isn't exactly the same as the laptops of old. Doing so is much trickier and can be warranty voiding. If you're that concerned, make sure your laptop is completely powered down and unplugged, then it should not be a problem. Do not attempt to remove the battery if it cannot be done with standard tools.