Questions about laptops

oronor24

Estimable
Nov 22, 2015
Hi , i currently own a normall pc(desktop is it called?) but i want to change it , it is really hard to move around and since im forced to switch homes often , carrying my pc and two monitors with me is really tough.... a laptop would be much better for me but i dont know much about them , my questions:

1. is it true that they get burned often if you use them a lot? i mean are they less endurant than desktops? how long will a laptop last? can i solve this drawback somehow? maybe with a much better cooler?

2. Can the battery defect and explode like it does on an ipad? its a lithium battery from what i see , are there cases of such events? are they safe overall?

3. Can i build my own laptop like i do with a desktop so i can save some money?

4. Can i use parts of my desktop pc to build the laptop? like the harddrive , ssd , ram maybe... do desktops and laptops use the same parts? except the battery for obvious reasons...

5. Can i charge the laptop all day long or will this damage the battery like it does on an ipad?

6. Any idea how can i trade my two monitors(asus 22) ,(lg 18) and desktop (i3core-12gbram-ssd/hdd-dvd drive) with a similar capacity laptop? are there good sites for this or something? is it worth it to do such thing? will i find a laptop at these standards?

Solution

rgd1101

Don't
1)it easily overheated because it doesn't have big fan. It could last a lot time if you keep it clean.
2)as long as you buy oem battery, you will be fine
3)no, it will be a lot more expensive to build a custom laptop
4)depend on the size(thickness) of the disk
ram, no
5)just like an ipad, a battery is a battery
6)trade, no. sell it and see how much money you make or budget one.

read some review on laptop mag
http://www.laptopmag.com/

TJ Hooker

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014
1) Laptops do tend to run hotter than desktops, but they usually designed that way. Some laptops may have inadequate cooling, which will cause the components to heat up too much and throttle, meaning you're not getting the full performance out of the components.
Laptops don't tend to last as long, but I think it's more to do with physical stress rather than heat. Laptops get moved around more, so they're exposed to more vibration and impacts. They get opened and closed a lot, wearing out the hinge. An individual component can break (e.g. keyboard, speakers, etc), which isn't easily replaceable like a desktop.

2) Not that I know of. There may be the odd laptop out there with a defective battery, but it's not something you have to worry about in particular with a laptop.

3) No

4) You can possibly use some desktop storage (2.5" HDD/SSD, possible M.2 drive), but otherwise no.

5) Not sure about this. I don't think it would be bad, but if you're worried you can always get a laptop with an easily removable battery, and then remove it when you're stationary and running off AC power.

6) No idea. You never know what people are willing to trade. I don't know what kind of buy/sell/swap websites cater to where you live. The first ones that come to mind are Craiglist and Kijiji.

maxwellmelon

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
1. laptops can last as long as desktops in most cases, it depends on how much you abuse them as there life, if you sit it open on a desk and treat it as a desktop it will last like a desktop. if you carry it around, drop it, bang it, ect....it will break sooner of course. about the only thing on a laptop that wears out is the battery, of course desktops don't have a main battery so. kind of hard to compare. So again really its all about how you treat it. remember a laptop used for high end gaming will not have as long of life because a laptop doesn't have the cooling capability's of a desktop for long run times at high loads.

2. Yes any lithium battery can defect and burn/explode. these events are rare on oem batterys, now some aftermarket batterys not built to standerds are more likely to have these issues. but generally the original battery that comes with it is prob over 1 in 10,000,000 that will have such a bad issue (unless you intentionally try to cause an issue) the battery internal safety features usually shut down the battery before any dangers issue arises.

3 Not really. Usually laptops are system on a board with very few things that can be changed, usually the RAM and network card are the only two items on the motherboard of a laptop that can be changed.

4.Pretty much a big NOPE, mabe the ssd if its the right size. everything else is different between a desktop and laptop

5. damage the battery? it can shorten its lifespan according to manufactures but I have an hp laptop that's 5 years old that I used pluged in 80% of the time and battery is still at 90% capacity compared to new. I think it depends on the laptops power control. (really oem batterys this wont be an issue, those cheap batterys that skip the safety protections....could be an issue)

6 cant help you there but yes there are some high end laptops out there.

7. don't get a laptop to do a desktops job if that's what your are considering. a desktop is better at a desktops use

xDeuiii

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
Here are your answers:

1. They don't burned often but they will be damaged if you just use it without turning off all the time. Even desktops(yes, PCs are also called desktops) will be damaged if not allowed to cool every now and then. It's true they are less endurant than desktops and there's no way to fix this. You just buy one, just it for a couple of years, then buy another one.

2. There have been very few cases of this but it was due to hardware defects or old hardware. It can explode under EXTREME temperatures but I doubt that will happen when using a laptop. It doesn't literally explode, but catch fire and will harm the user. It's VERY unlikely to happen. They are safe overall.

3. Yes, you can build your own laptop but it won't save you money. Laptop parts are hard to find to build it on your own. Sites like Cyperpower PC let you customise your own laptop but they build it themselves and it isn't cheap at all.

4. No, you can't use desktop parts on laptops. They are physically different and much smaller in size.

5. Overcharging will cause its performance to go down but not by very much if it's just for one day. But doing this everyday, you'll probably have to change batteries every few years.

6. Yes, you can laptops with similar performance or even better. Fill these out for precise recommendations:

1. What is your budget?

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

3. What screen resolution do you want?

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

5. How much battery life do you need?

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

13. What country do you live in?

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

oronor24

Estimable
Nov 22, 2015

1. I dont have much to invest on a laptop , im planning to sell or trade my desktop for it , the most i can probably invest is around 100e.

2. not sure about this one , just like a standard laptop , the bigger the better as long as i can carry it

3. 1920x1080 but if its smaller i dont have problem , i want the ram to be 12gb and i want a ssd aswell b

4. desktop replacement sounds better but i dont understand the difference between the two

5. i plan to have it charged all the time so not a crazy amount , i mostly aim to use it as a desktop at home , if you mean battery endurance then probably a lot , i want a good battery

6. I plan to play poker , hearthstone , wow , overwatch , i dont play single player games too much so i dont need a *great* graphic card , as i said above ram is my main concern , i dont want it to stuck all the time and i run a lot of sites and software at the same time.

7. nothing really just surfing maybe recording every now and then with camtasia

8. a lot 1 terrabyte maybe? well i can probably *manage* even with less than this something around 500gb , 250gb would be extreme im not sure if i can manage with this

9. http://www.e-shop.gr/ this one is the best candidate but im looking for trading sites too

10. 4+ years

11. dvd rom is just fine

12. I dont know much about brands , i think lenovo is the best? a programmer told me that , i also have a lenovo laptop for like 3+ years and after alot of moving around it still works great but sadly it doesnt meet my criteria and its not mine aswell

13. Greece

14. nothing else to add

xDeuiii

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
Among these, both are good ones so it's up to you now. You'll have to sell your PC if you want a new laptop. If you'll trade,you'll get second hand laptops locally. I'm not pretty sure if you meant 100 or 1000 euro, because at this price, you can't even get a decent desktop CPU processor, so please confirm your budget. I would recommend selling your PC part by part to get more money and you can keep the monitors depending on your budget. I would suggest to try get a price list for the parts you're gonna sell to allocate your budget but do not sell it right away.

You are better off getting a small case than switching to a laptop. The ones you are looking at are not good for games. For something to play WOW and Overwatch on, you want a system with a 960m video card, those are about $750 USD and up, especially if you want a solid state drive.

If you sell your desktop and buy a laptop, you will lose money you paid for the desktop selling it used, and you will end up with a marginal laptop to do what you want. The A8 and A6 are not totally horrible for games, but you will need to run them on low settings and any newer games will barely run even at low.

If you want a laptop for even mid-range games like WOW, don't cheap out on one, or stick with the desktop or you will just be kicking yourself in 2 months for buying a cheaper one vs one that will actually run what you want.

oronor24

Estimable
Nov 22, 2015

Are there cases small enough (also light) that i can fit them in a big size bag and carry them on my arm? (with all the parts inside ofc)

If i can do that then i may not need a laptop

xDeuiii

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
Yep, there are cases(called mini ITX cases) like that but the main problem would be the motherboard. If your motherboard doesn't fit, you won't be able to use the case. Same case for video cards. Most cards out there won't fit in a mini ITX case. Cable management is another issue as well as the PSU size.

Not quite that small, and you still need to carry at least one monitor with you. You would have needed to do a build from the start to be very portable. Either way, the laptops you were looking for are not quite good enough to be good for gaming on. Maybe an A10 based laptop, but even that is getting too close to stretching gaming on.

Solution

I used to be a big Toshiba laptop fan. But unfortunately, their build quality has slipped significantly in the last few years.

I'd steer clear.