Questions About Laptops

Librasno

Prominent
Aug 4, 2017
So this is my first time buying a laptop, a high end expensive laptop at that. I have a few questions about it, if anyone can answer any of these questions I'd greatly appreciate it. I will post my specs and laptop details below, following up with the questions.

Acer Predator 15 / G9-593
CPU: i7 6700hq
GPU: Gtx 1070 8gb
Ram: 16gb

1. Will leaving my charger in shorten the light of my battery/computer? (i understand that it will wear out no matter what the more you put electric to it) but how much will it affect my laptop if i leave it plugged in even at 100%. I have read multiple threads, some people say it will overcharge my batter, some say the power after reaching 100% goes directly into my computer itself and not the battery, and others say that depending on my laptop.

2. Whenever I close my laptop lid, the computer goes to sleep but if i change the settings on it to do nothing will it affect my computer in any negative way? The reason why I want to change this is because I play games at work and I close my lid a lot, but when i do the internet connection to the applications disconnects. When I close my lid on the setting "Do Nothing" will it automatically save power? Or does it run normally as if i didn't put it on sleep but the display turns off.

3. What CPU/GPU temp is normal for a i7 6700hq / Gtx 1070 under heavy load? Running games such as GTA5, The Forest, For Honor, and Ghost Recon Wildlands?

4. Last question, i doubt anyone knows.. but does anyone know how to disassemble the Acer 15 Predator G9-593 (My Laptop) monitor? I have an LED problem on the front logo, the design of this laptop has 2 Lines left and right of the main logo and all of it is suppose to light up but my right line logo doesn't. I think i should be able to open it up and re wire it.

Solution
1. There have been empirical studies do on laptop batteries that are plugged in all the time. Basically doing so can shorten the lifespan of the battery if the battery is allowed to be fully charged. The closer the battery is charged to it's full capacity, the more likely a chemical process will occur that is referred to as Lithium Ion Plating. Basically lithium ions starts to combine together to form "plates", when this happens the lithium ions will no longer be able to hold a charge in the battery. That will cause battery life to decrease. This is why some laptop brands like Lenovo and Dell includes some type of battery manage program to limit battery charging to around 50% or so. Some laptops includes this feature in the BIOS. When...
for your first question usually it wont wear down the laptop battery by much as long as the power adapter have enough wattage to handle the cpu and gpu.(some older models like msi/razer/asus rog uses hybrid power which means using the battery and the adapter together during heavy workload.usually if u put it to sleep the laptop will save power thus disconnecting internet as well and closing some apps.for temperature this is where its not really looking good for the predator.acer gaming notebook(i have the new v17 nitro black edition with gtx 1060 and the previous predator with the 980m) tends to have issue with temps.maybe acer need to work a bit more on cooling design.my aw 15 with the gtx 1060 and 7700hq seems to be able to keep temps for cpu maxing at around 78-80ish and avg 70-75ish and gpu sits at around 65-75c rarely reaching 80c.however the acer migh see cpu as high as 90c or more and gpu will go beyond 80c at some point.(seen this on my friend predator).only way is to undervolt the cpu or disable turbo boost to get reasonable temp.for the last part if its still under warranty return it and get it check.opening it up might void ur warranty.

1. There have been empirical studies do on laptop batteries that are plugged in all the time. Basically doing so can shorten the lifespan of the battery if the battery is allowed to be fully charged. The closer the battery is charged to it's full capacity, the more likely a chemical process will occur that is referred to as Lithium Ion Plating. Basically lithium ions starts to combine together to form "plates", when this happens the lithium ions will no longer be able to hold a charge in the battery. That will cause battery life to decrease. This is why some laptop brands like Lenovo and Dell includes some type of battery manage program to limit battery charging to around 50% or so. Some laptops includes this feature in the BIOS. When you know you will need a fully charged battery you override the program or the BIOS setting to allow the laptop battery to be fully charged.

2. Not really, it will simply cause normal wear and tear when the laptop is not put to sleep. Fans spinning, SSD or HDD accessed from time to time as Windows creates temporary file for background processes.

3. No idea.

4. No idea.

Solution