Questions about upgrading Toshiba for gaming

mak96k

Commendable
Mar 17, 2016
So, I'm new to upgrading computers and gaming, but I've taking a liking to it. There is one game I really would like to play, and it states that my laptop meet all the requirements except the gpu. which they say the recommended Nvidia GTX 550 ti or equivalent for the game Subnatica. Now personally, I'd like this to help with other games such as RIFT, Is there an equivalent someone can recommended that will work with my laptop I should use? Preferably a decent but not overly expensive. I really would like to keep it under $60 if that's at all possible. Is there something else that might also be good to upgrade?

My model is: Toshiba C55-A5281

Basic specs:

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Pentium Dual Core 2020M

RAM 6 GB SDRAM DDR3

Memory Speed 1600 MHz

Hard Drive 750 GB mechanical_hard_drive

Graphics Coprocessor Intel HD graphics

Solution

Upgradeability belongs in the realm of the desktop pc. As soon as you go laptop, your upgrade options are cut dramatically. If you want an upgradeable laptop, you then buy an...

Petrossa

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
You're not going to be able to upgrade that system as it does not have a slot for a graphics card, since it is an entry level device.
The only way of adding graphics capability to that system would be through using an external graphics card and these come at a bit of a premium.

mak96k

Commendable
Mar 17, 2016

Imma level with you. Like I'm really new to upgrading. But if I understand you correctly, I'd have to use it externally through a cable correct? So these would definitely be more expensive? Is there one you might be able to think of that is compatible with my laptop?

These devices for external graphics start out costing hundreds of dollars. Add in the cost of a decent graphics card and a power supply (also over a couple hundred) and you see where this is going.

They're not worth the cost and well outside your stated budget of $60.

-Wolf sends

Petrossa

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014

Upgradeability belongs in the realm of the desktop pc. As soon as you go laptop, your upgrade options are cut dramatically. If you want an upgradeable laptop, you then buy an expensive one to start of with that has a removable graphics cards and processors. But yeah, we're talking many hundreds/thousands of dollars.

Solution