Questions to Y510p owners

Matt Stam

Estimable
Feb 15, 2014
Hello everybody. I am looking for a gaming laptop and am strongly considering this as my choice. I have done much research on the Y510 and I just have a couple of questions

1. First off, would this laptop be the best bang for my buck? I got about $1200 to spend and all my research had pointed me to this laptop.

2. What model/version of this laptop would you recommend? I was thinking about buying this one, Amazon.com: Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p 15.6-Inch Laptop (59406636) Dusk Black: Computers & Accessories though I have heard that the 24G cache one and one with a 1080p matte screen is the best choice though I can't seem to find those specifications with 8GB Ram and GeForce 755m SLI (I guess the 750m would work too). I also don't know how to check if it has the glossy or matte screen on the one in the link. I would like it if someone could check.

3. Does the 24GB Cache make a big difference compared to the normal 8GB one? I've seen many people recommend it over the 8G one. I believe it is because the 24GB one is upgradable and the 8G isn't but I would like confirmation on that.

4. What solutions do you guys have about the second SLI GPU's temperature being so hot? Here are some solutions I have heard of so far that I would like information on:
-Repasteing (Which paste works best?)
-Lowering Voltage to CPU and/or GPU (Looking for information on how to do this)
-Increasing Fan Speed (Again, looking for tutorial on this. Heard it's blocked in BIOS)
-Something about Heat Sinks (Would buying a better one work? Any recommendations?)
-Cutting a hole at the bottom or modifying laptop.
-Buying a cooling pad

5. What are the serious problems with the GPU running at 95°C or higher? I've heard it limits the processor to 2.4Ghz but wouldn't it cause eventual melting of components or other problems limiting the life of the computer?

6. What are the first things I should do after the laptop arrives as far as configuration goes? I don't know weather to keep windows 8, upgrade to 8.1, or downgrade to 7, since apparently these different OS's work better or worse with SLI. I also heard the GPU needs to be configured and would like to know how to set that up.

7. I am mainly buying a new laptop for Elder Scrolls Online. If you have tested the beta for that game with this laptop please inform me of how it performs.

8. After 10+ hours of gameplay on an mmo, how hot does the GPU normally get?

Thank you very much for any information you can give me!

Hello Matt :)
1.Yep

2.I recommend the SLI model if your main usage is gaming,definitely make sure you get the full HD screen though

3.8GB is fine,you can upgrade it later if you want

4.None at first. Buy the laptop,test it's temp and if it was uncomfortable for you,consider a cooling pad/increasing fan speed(neither help "significantly" though)

6.OS is a personal choice.Some people prefer W7 and some like 8. For me,8(or 8.1 currently) is pretty similar to 7 with the exception of the metro UI. I say try 8,if you liked it,upgrade to 8.1 otherwise downgrade to 7

7.Haven't tested it but it should perform perfectly fine

8.Can't say since I don't have it