Prominent
Aug 4, 2017
Hi,
I have an MSI GL62 7QF laptop. Here are the specs,

• Intel i7 7th gen
    GeForce GTX 960M
    1 X 8GB SK Hynix DDR4 RAM
    I TB HDD + 256 GB SSD

I want to upgrade my RAM to 16/32 GB. I want to know do i need to get 2X 8GB chips from the same manufacturer, or adding another 8GB stick from , say HyperX, would work fine.?
I already checked that i can upgrade upto 32 GB.
Let me know i you need any more information.

Thanks,

Solution
To be honest it's almost complete pot luck with different memory modules. You're ALWAYS safer getting multiples of the same RAM module (ideally even in the same pack).

Adding in different types of RAM sticks is a 50/50 bet, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. The closer the voltages, speeds, sizes are, the more likely they are to get on, but there's really no guarantee. So mixing RAM is never a recommended practice, but it CAN work. As long as you set it up to so that none of your modules end up down-clocking one another.

So IMO, you're always best just getting a matching pair, as it can be an expensive chore to buy and install mixed RAM, to find that they don't work together.

PC Tailor

Prominent
Jun 29, 2017
To be honest it's almost complete pot luck with different memory modules. You're ALWAYS safer getting multiples of the same RAM module (ideally even in the same pack).

Adding in different types of RAM sticks is a 50/50 bet, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. The closer the voltages, speeds, sizes are, the more likely they are to get on, but there's really no guarantee. So mixing RAM is never a recommended practice, but it CAN work. As long as you set it up to so that none of your modules end up down-clocking one another.

So IMO, you're always best just getting a matching pair, as it can be an expensive chore to buy and install mixed RAM, to find that they don't work together.

Solution