Random popup at desktop

radiowars

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Sometimes, I come back to my computer and on my desktop there is a message saying "Wait, your agent has a special offer for you--- please click cancel on the next message to accept" <- or something similar to that.
This worries me. I think it's either a virus or trojan (not entirely positive, because I know little to nothing about security invasions). Eset Nod32 says everything's fine except 1 file that I deleted to keep my computer clean. Under processes, there's no suspicious programs running; furthermore, I can't minimize or expand the window. All I can do is delete it. I've noticed no slowdown in my computer performance, or any issues otherwise. I've run into a bad link or two (google searches require a more thorough read through so as to not hit any suspicious links). I use Gmail, but only download files I receive from teachers, which is sent from a school server, so I don't think anything came through there. I wish I could tell you guys more, but I can't think of anything. I try to keep a clean computer, and I have 2 hardrives (one SSD, the other a WD 7200 RPMer).
I'm terrible when it comes to security, so any advice would be much appreciated. I don't download any suspicious files, and if anything does seem suspicious, I do a quick cross check before downloading it.

Thanks for any help guys,
radiowars.

radiowars

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Actually, I fixed it. But thanks guys!
It turned out to be an .exe deep within my program files. It took some digging, but I eventually found it. Task Manager is awesome lol.

Thanks guys,

Radiowars

G

Hii,
I think you shud block the pop-ups in ur IE but this also will not solve the problem completely as it may not block all the pop-ups.And yes pop-ups can also make u install spywares accidentally. so u need some gud antispyware along with
blocking the pop-ups.I have 1 good application installed on my system Advanced System Protector , it not only blocks the spyware b4 it can enter your system,and will also clean the infections if any and it gives routine updates of the latest definitions and is very easy to use..
The On Execution Scanner & Alert Shields make it more efficient in the case of internet access. For me the Advanced System Protector is the Best Antispyware
free version of ASP is also available which provides free scanning and cleaning.
Try this.

http://www.systweak.com/AntiSpyware/Download/