Solved! Razer Pro 17 4k vs Alienware 17 4k? If they are the same price!

TechKash

Commendable
Jun 19, 2016
Ok so people used to make fun of how expensive the Razer Pro 17 was, but the used prices became reasonable. I can get either of these for $1700. Thats a 17 inch 4k display with a GTX1080 for $1700... not bad. So aside from price, which would perform better for productivity work? I heard some very bad things about the Razer... like it crashes under load. Also, since its the lighter option... would it be louder? Poor heating compared to the Alienware?
Thanks!

Solution
Not sure what "productivity work" is, unless you are getting the systems for gaming, they are both the wrong thing to get. I would not pay $1,700 to get a 4k screen and a high end GPU in a used laptop. 4k is a bit too high for even a 17" screen, and used laptop likely means no warranty. You want to risk your 1,700 on a high end system that produces a lot of heat and would be stressed often in gaming?

Get a 1080 screen setup that is new with a 1060, or maybe a 1070 video card, would be a better pick.
Not sure what "productivity work" is, unless you are getting the systems for gaming, they are both the wrong thing to get. I would not pay $1,700 to get a 4k screen and a high end GPU in a used laptop. 4k is a bit too high for even a 17" screen, and used laptop likely means no warranty. You want to risk your 1,700 on a high end system that produces a lot of heat and would be stressed often in gaming?

Get a 1080 screen setup that is new with a 1060, or maybe a 1070 video card, would be a better pick.

Solution

TechKash

Commendable
Jun 19, 2016
Well productivity to me is VRay photorealistic rendering. It abuses whatever GPU you use. I also travel a ton and would love to render wherever I am. As far as 4K... I did get used to retina displays and can definitely tell the difference between 4K and fullHD. Maybe an Alienware Qhd would be fine... but with the amount of small controls you see on CAD programs and adobe software... fullHD isn’t so great

OK, so that is a lot better info, in general,the larger the system is, the better cooling and thus better reliability it would have. Don't know about noise difference between them.