Re: Wifi slows astronomically once my Galaxy S6 is connected

Bob_WA

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016
Re: pricebailey123 question of 29th May 2015, I have a problem that might be the same or a related issue: We have three pc's at home and 11Mbps ADSL, with local wifi. Except when the Samsung Galaxy S6 wifi function is turned on, then our internet access slows to a crawl (broadband speed tests don't even get a reading). Turn off the S6 wifi and our computers come back to normal broadband speed. I don't know what the S6 is doing with its wifi connection but it doesn't play fair with the rest of the local users, it hogs all the bandwidth there is.

It sounds like you are having the same problem that many users of that phone are having. Phones using Lollipop have this issue. The "Smart Network Switch" invokes high CPU usage in Lollipop, and drops wifi much more often.

One way to fix this, if your phone will allow you to access it, is to disable "Smart Network Switch". It should be under "WiFi", then "Advanced".

Turning it off should seriously lower it's drain on your wifi.

You might also wish to consider, if the above doesn't completely fix the problem, moving your router to a better, unrestricted, location. Meaning, if it is say in a cabinet, or low in the room, this can also cause problems. The phone will drain more trying to access it. Moving it to a high and unrestricted area should help.