Realtek HD Audio Manager- Unable to Get Sound Through Headphones

samZ91

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
Hi all,

First of all, I'm basically a novice, so please forgive my lack of knowledge where terminology and whatnot is concerned.

My laptop is ASUS X551, 15.6-inch (Intel Celeron 2.16GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, running Windows 8.1), and Realtek HD Audio Manager was already installed upon purchase.

Up until a couple of months ago, when I plugged my headphones/earbuds into the headphone jack, Realtek would "pop up"- usually immediately, though sometimes with a delay- with a "what did you just plug in" pop-up, at which point I'd indicate headphones and the sound would come through them. But Realtek has not been doing that for a couple of months- I can only get sound through the computer's speakers. Often the pop-up will appear after a long time, but only after I've removed the headphones from the jack. If I pull it out and re-insert it multiple times, (trying for different pressure or speed, etc.) after a delay Realtek will pop-up the same number of times I had inserted them. No matter how long I leave them in the jack, Realtek never pops up while they are inserted- it's almost as if it's "sensitive" to them being pulled out, but not put into the jack

At one point I found some advice online suggesting to install new Realtek Drivers, which I did, and it made no difference. I've also checked the control panel, and Realtek HD Audio is the default device under 'speakers'. I don't know what else to do that I haven't tried. Help would be very much appreciated!

mumoffour

Estimable
Dec 5, 2015
Hi samZ91, I have just posted about something similar and am a total novice too so hopefully it may help both of us.

Just quickly but with yours do you have that little orange/brown speaker on your taskbar? I want to double check I am asking about the same thing as mine just vanished - it's gone from even under the sound settings. I am positive it was the same program but want to double check as of course the icon has vanished for me.

I ALWAYS had it pop up when plugging in the headphones and in the last month it stopped popping up oddly too but was still working. It was only a few days ago that the sound was clearly through the normal sound controls and no matter what I do it sounds awful.
I clicked on the icon to open it and troubleshoot and that is when it vanished - there is NO trace of it despite following everything to look through every area and nope, it's 100% gone.

I have tried to reinstall it but it gets partway through installation and shows there's a driver missing, then of course doesn't install. I've tried to install the driver related to it but it's a zip file which would normally open automatically and isn't, I'm stuck on trying to get it to open manually.

But wanted to confirm that I AM doing the right one and that yours does show as that dark orange speaker on your taskbar? If so then I've asked for help with a step by step installation (lol, yes, shows I AM a total novice doesn't it?) and hoping someone can help.
If they can then keep an eye on my post as it may be useful for you too, it could be a matter of uninstalling & reinstalling for you with any luck.

Annoying isn't it? My ears are hating me, no matter what changes I make to the basic volume control it sounds awful!

samZ91

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
Hi mumoffour,

Sorry I missed your reply! Yes, the Realtek shows up as an orange speaker icon for me. It sounds like we're both having a pretty frustrating time, though luckily mine is still installed... but lately I've noticed that once I first turn the computer on, the sound is fine- but if I try to adjust it at all- either up or down- it suddenly becomes much softer! :??:

Giang_

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016