Realtek Releases Drivers for Hackintosh MSI Winds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dang I was hoping this would be for their audio drivers. That way boards that use realtek drivers could actually have full support for sound in/out and surround sound. Darn posting box I can not see anything that I am typing.

Tom's please just use vBulleting for posts. It seems to work flawlessly in forums I vivisit.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Apple cannot sue Realtek for releasing OSx drivers for Realteks hardware products. There is nothing that can stop a consumer from opening their own Macs and inserting a Realtek wifi adapter (this is the consumers right as they own the hardware). Therefore, Realtek can release the drivers under this guise, they are simply supporting the consumers right to add any hardware they wish to their own computer (the only side-affect would be to void the Apple warranty). Unless Apple wants to admit in court that they are a monopoly and actively persue anti-competitive practices, they can't do anything.

Just because the Realtek wifi module in question happens to reside in a MSI Wind, still doesn't mean Apple can do anything about it. Hell, anyone can right OSX drivers for any hardware they want, even if that hardware can't be physically connected to a MAC. AMD could release OSX drivers for their RAID controllers for their motherboard southbridges. They would never do so, because releasing drivers for an OS that runs on hardware that doesn't support your own doesn't make any sense. But there certainly isn't anything illegal about writing said software. Imagine if Microsoft FORCED all drivers to be WHQL certified, that would never pass, yet it just seems to be assumed as the norm for Apple? Why do Apple users put up with such crap?

G

Yeah, you wrote an article about it, at least link to the driver. It'll save many people google searches. Think of it as a way to save Google server time/power consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.