Solved! Reboot and screen doesnt come up

DLSnoopy

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
I have had a Studio 17 for over a year now. About a month ago, when I started the computer, the screen would not come up, but it would make all the noises like it came up to the opening screen. The lights above the F-Keys would cycle thru like normal, however the speaker lights above the F11-F12 would flash. The Mute and Louder lights would flash and the middle light would stay on steady. I can hear that it's open to the Windows log on screen. I would power it off and sometimes it would do the same thing. Then when I powered it up again it would come up normal with opening screen shot and proceed to open. It would stop and say it had a bad shutdown and wanted to start in the safe or normal mode. I tried both and it will boot up and work fine, until I restart it or shut it down. Sometimes it take me three to four attempts to get the screen to work...but them speakers lights will just keep on flashing...

Any ideas, or is it time to Restore?

memorex556

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Mine is doing kind of the same thing; I am running a Dell Studio 17 Laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo P8600@2,40Ghz using Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit OS (SP 1) and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650.

I have noticed in the past few months that if I shut down my computer the display doesn't light up when I turn it on again. The computer boots and I can hear the Windows sound as it starts up, but no display, not even the initial splash screen during BIOS startup and POST. If I hold down the power button and shut it off and turn on again I have my display back and I get the "windows did not start properly" msg. I choose "Start Windows Normally" and everything works fine. If I shut the computer down again I get the same problem, so effectively it fails EXACTLY every second start after shutdown. It never fails on Sleep or Hibernate and am not sure if it fails on restart but I don't think so. I don't believe that there is anything wrong with the screen hardware or connection, it must be a software thing. I installed Windows 7 three months ago and although I don't think this problem happened immediately after I installed the OS, it certainly didn't happen when I ran XP.