Receiver Recommendation and Setup

Kinro

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
Hey guy's, new member here looking for some help!

Looking to buy a new 5.1 setup for my office. Was looking for some suggestions on receivers and how to set it up.

I wanted to hook up the Receiver from my PC/PS3/HDTV with a 4-5 speaker setup with a subwoofer.

I was thinking of getting this sound card http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16829132006 (ASUS Xonar DX 7.1) as I don't think my onboard sound is as good. (Mother Board model ASUS M4A79XTD EVO)

I was thinking of either the Denon E300 http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/productdetail.aspx?catid=avreceivers%28denonna%29&pid=avre300%28denonna%29http:// or the Yamaha RXV 475 http://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rxv-series/rx-v475_black_u/?mode=model

I don't really need the spotify or airplay features as I live in Canada and the CRTC isn't allowing those features. I mainly watch movies from my PC and play games like BF3 and The Witcher 2. The PS3 is currently waiting for GTAV.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated even if it's a whole different receiver.

My Budget is around $500 CAD for the receiver.

Solution
I wouldn't bother with a discrete sound card if you're going to use an external receiver anyway. Connect it via HDMI and use the video card to handle the audio rather than the sound card, that way you can bypass needing to use Dolby Digital Live.

Pinhedd

Distinguished
I wouldn't bother with a discrete sound card if you're going to use an external receiver anyway. Connect it via HDMI and use the video card to handle the audio rather than the sound card, that way you can bypass needing to use Dolby Digital Live.

Solution

yhikum

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
There are two pieces of setup I had to do to get my receiver set working.

First one was receiver itself. Why not go for Onkyo? It is cheaper and you can get networked version around $300, which is a bargain. Consider if you plan on using 4k television soon or in near future. There are different models to consider that offer video upscaling, but watch out carefully which resolutions do get upscaled. On top of that pay attention to Dolby standards, as these are bread and butter of receiver and will influence richness of sound you get from any audio source.
Also, both Onkyo and Yamaha offer their proprietary sound tuning setups and both support airplay or internet radio. Mainly differences lay in HDMI ports and speaker setups. Also, networked receiver is a must these days due to the fact that it can play all sorts of media over network, with exception of video files.

Second, a speaker set. You can get nominal 5.1 set and add 2 more of any stereo speakers to make 7.1 set yourself. Consider this when buying receiver, as you can first buy 7.1 one and still run 5.1 set without problems (receiver simply would need to be configured differently). Base for sub-woofer is important, but may not be needed to be loud, as normally any unit would produce enough base. What you might need to consider is how to mount speakers and speaker placement, as size of speakers will soon be reality to deal with. Also, do get enough wire and banana plugs, as you would need to route all wires for every speaker.

I'm proud owner of Onkyo NR515 with full 7.1 speaker set, and so far no regrets.

yhikum

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Make sure your video card has sound chip to output sound through HDMI. Some cards have this ability and some do not.

Also, some motherboards support optical 5.1 Toslink out, which can also be used with any receiver.

HDMI solution is easier, but more tricky to get working as you would need to configure and test that your sound is coming through with desired correct configuration of speakers (5.1 or 2.1).

Normally, Toslink can support up to 5.1 configuration, but that is stretching it. That is where Dolby pre-sets come into usefulness since they would stretch any stereo or 2.1 or higher into 5.1 and 7.1 setups.

Pinhedd

Distinguished

TOSLINK refers to the physical specification for optical audio connectors. The digital signaling standard used is called S/PDIF and will work over optical or electrical connections. S/PDIF supports only two channel LPCM, as well as compressed AC3 and DTS. No motherboards support 6/8 channel audio over TOSLINK, it's not allowed by the S/PDIF specification. Rather, some motherboards include sound codecs from Creative Labs which have the ability to encode 6 channel lossless LPCM into 6 channel AC3 or 6 channel DTS in real time. This naturally requires an AC3 or DTS decoder on the receiver. The audio quality from this method is noticeably inferior to 6/8 channel LPCM and should only be used as a last resort.

HDMI can carry 8 channel LPCM to the receiver and is much, much easier to setup.

Kinro

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
No I didn't buy my speakers/subwoofer yet, trying to find the most bang for my buck deal. I was looking into the BIC F12, but to import it to Canada is around $500, so I'm trying to find something locally or on Amazon.ca/Clutchfield.ca

Was also looking at the Energy Take Classic 5.1, but would have to import them as well from Amazon.com for around $600.

I live around Toronto and would mind driving across the border to Buffalo if they have better deals there though.

SDPIF/Optical/TOSLINK can only send 5.1 compressed. It is the format that is flawed( in this modern age of surround), it can't handle the amount of bitstream data. I would take analog anyday over SDPIF( and I do!) for uncompressed 5.1 and 7.1. Analog and HDMI have "discrete" channels unlike SDPIF. Discrete meaning, a separate audio channel for each speaker.

Like yhikum said if your video card(or onboard sound, looked it up no HDMI but supports 7.1 analog, nice!) can support HDMI go for that. Now most games(if not all) are simulated surround anyways because of the amount of sound information. They do program in audio clues which help, like the Creative sound cards(SBX/Scout, available on the Z series of cards) can help with that process of using the audio clues for knowing where your enemy is. Also, what I believe yhikum is alluding to on Dolby, for example ProLogic IIx does a good job of up mixing stereo(simulated) to 5.1 or 7.1 sound. Which is great for sources recorded in 2.0. My opinion, not as good for gaming compared to Creative's software but still works well.

DTS is another surround sound format which is excellent for movies and has NeoX which upmixes 2.0 to 7.1 and works like ProLogicIIx.

Since you are using a receiver(I prefer a surround sound processor, I like separates) you may want to look at the various surround sound formats it supports.

What speakers do you have or might be purchasing?

Happy surround, the Prisoner...

Kinro

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013

Is paradigm good for a ~$600 speaker/subwoofer budget? Trying to get a Sub and 4-5 speakers.

First of all, ARGH!!!!. I have been trying to compare amazon and amazon.ca ,ARGH!!.

Anyways, I spent a couple of hours and amazon.ca sucks. Maybe try ebay.ca or have a friend in Buffalo, NY.

600.00 for Paradigm new it won't happen, maybe used. Which brings me back, shop your LOCAL stereo store that sell new/used and buy used. I looked up a few in Toronto(btw nice city, been there a couple of times). Used is your best option and if they work like the ones I shop at in the U.S., they offer full trade in value for equipment you bought from them when you want to upgrade.

One thing I should of asked, I figure you want some smaller speakers due to the fact it is in an office. And what will you be using the speakers for, music, gaming and movies? Why speakers, how about some nice headphones? For 600.00, I would sell you some old pair(a few pairs) of Stax headphones I have sitting around.

When I hear back from you after you have checked some local sources maybe I can recommend something. If I lived in Buffalo, I would invite you over to hear a good/inexpensive system to my fairly high end system so you could get a comparison.

Sorry for the frustration, the Prisoner...