Solved! recently reinstalled windows with broken laptop screen

Sep 10, 2021
I have an asus rog laptop which has a broken screen and I've been using a monitor since, but I had some issues with my display drivers so i thought i would reload a previous version of my windows before my display would start freezing just to see what was causing the problem. I found that my files for previous windows versions were missing so I decided to just reinstall windows. Alas I encountered the problem where my laptop won't recognize my monitor as the main display even though I've removed the laptop screen's wires off the motherboard.

I would like some suggestions on how I could maybe make my laptop act as a literal desktop and make any external monitor as its main display.

Solution
Issue is that you probably need to load the proper video drivers for the system to detect the external screen, so you are in a catch 22, no screen to load the drivers, and no drivers so you can't see the screen.

As long as the network drivers are installed you may be able to connect the laptop to your network, look at the router to see what the IP is for the system, then use another computer to remote into this one. Once you are connected, run the driver packages for the system from the vendor site.
Issue is that you probably need to load the proper video drivers for the system to detect the external screen, so you are in a catch 22, no screen to load the drivers, and no drivers so you can't see the screen.

As long as the network drivers are installed you may be able to connect the laptop to your network, look at the router to see what the IP is for the system, then use another computer to remote into this one. Once you are connected, run the driver packages for the system from the vendor site.

Reactions: Chocket
Solution
Sep 10, 2021

Thanks for the tip! I comnected my laptop to a friend's desktop and managed to fix the problem