Recession Special HDTVs for Superbowl Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
you could get a TV stand from IKEA for 79 bucks!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40105298

on Ikea's website they list this as a TV stand but when you actually reach the products web page it says it is a coffee table.

This thing is SUPER STRONG and SOLID! i am 200lbs and i can jump up and down on top of this thing and it WONT FLEX.

the other good thing unlike the silly glass stand shown in this article is that it is deep enough for a home built DVR (mythtv) the glass stand is NOT and it has bars in the way.....the shelf is adjustable.....i have a 42 inch flat screen on it along with my DVR, Xbox 360, and PS3....great for a BUDGET! strong enough for a 60+ inch LCD TV if you really wanted!

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]danimal_the_animal[/nom]you could get a TV stand from IKEA for 79 bucks!http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40105298on Ikea's website they list this as a TV stand but when you actually reach the products web page it says it is a coffee table.This thing is SUPER STRONG and SOLID! i am 200lbs and i can jump up and down on top of this thing and it WONT FLEX.the other good thing unlike the silly glass stand shown in this article is that it is deep enough for a home built DVR (mythtv) the glass stand is NOT and it has bars in the way.....the shelf is adjustable.....i have a 42 inch flat screen on it along with my DVR, Xbox 360, and PS3....great for a BUDGET! strong enough for a 60+ inch LCD TV if you really wanted![/citation]
Danimal,
I actually have that Ikea coffee table as my coffee table. The reason it wouldn't work for some people as a TV stand is because it only has one shelf--that means that some boxes would have to sit on the floor or be stacked on top of each other, which could cause over-heating. But if you only have a few A/V boxes, it could work.

Rachel Rosmarin
Editor of Tom's Guide

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
I got a Panny 58" 1080p for $2300 at Amazon.com last week. Incredible deal for such a large tv. They've since raised the price $200 (TH-58PZ800u). I remember I was one of the early adopters and paid $4200 for a Hitachi 42" 1024 x 1024 plasma monitor (not TV). Still running strong, just not nearly as good quality as even the cheapest sets out there today.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
"including a built-in tuner for over-the-air digital signals"

kinda been mandatory for just a little while already guys. Just like an MSN article today about cheap cars, saying they come with TPMS like it's an extra option at a great price, when it's been MANDATORY for '08 and newer!

"Journalists" need to start understanding what they are publishing, this is getting rediculous!

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
Michaelahess--
You'd be surprised how many non-commercial HDTVs (essentially monitors/panels) don't come with a digital tuner. Granted, it is standard in most new consumer televisions.

Also, it is spelled "ridiculous."
Thanks,

Rachel Rosmarin, Editor of Tom's Guide

Noya

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Checkout Sears this week, I just picked up a 50" 1080p Panasonic plasma for $1,260. It's contrast and viewing angles blow away LCD and of course it handles motion better than even 120hz LCD's.

I also got a great deal ($120) on a demo stand from a local furniture store that looks almost like this one but with tinted glass in the two side doors:
http://www.tvstandshowcase.com/Wood-TV-Stand-Black.htm
But I'm going to have to wall mount so I can set my center channel
on the stand.

neodude007

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
I picked up a
Digital Lifestyles 42" 720p LCD HDTV - FA2B42323
from Newegg a few months back for $499. It was one heck of a deal for me. I think it was so cheap because it is 42" but not 1080p and an off brand.

I am still trying to figure out why it shows 1080p when my PC sends signal to it tho....? When I change to the PC input it says in the corner 1920x1080 or whatever and it seems to actually be true; I created a 1080 Photoshop image and it just filled the screen.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
If you have a taste for the lustre of plasma, however, and don’t want to go all out with a super high-end brand, Panasonic is the way to go.
Since when did Panasonic because a second-rate brand. It's fairly common knowledge that Pioneer Kuro Elite and Panasonic 800/850-series are the best plasma you can get. If I am wrong enlighten me...

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
Kyle--

Panasonic is by no means second-rate. Its just not the best of the best, which I'm sure we can all agree is Pioneer :)

Rachel Rosmarin
Editor, Tom's Guide

erikstarcher

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
weren’t convinced by the government’s plans to switch to digital TV (that move was recently postponed until June)/quote]

It hasn't been postponed yet. The House shot it down, and I hope it stays at Feb 17th. The local channels (2-11-13) are overpowering my cable signal and I can't watch those channels until the changeover.

G

I just bought a Samsung LN46A650 46" LCD from Amazon last week and I'm happy as a clam with it. We did our homework and overall (at least for LCD) the Samsung's get the best reviews. Add mine to the long list of glowing reviews. There's plenty of cheaper LCDs out there (we were looking at Sharp and Vizio), but you'd be hard pressed to find a better one. This thing just reeks of quality and good design.

Status
Not open for further replies.