Recommend a 4K 120Hz+ TV Please

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

iPen

Estimable
Aug 1, 2015
I'm looking to update my HDTV to one with a higher refresh rate to 120Hz or higher. I would like 4K. It seems that Samsung is at the top when it comes to the highest quality, and that LG is a close second (?). The monitor size that would fit in the room with the sound system would need to be between 42" and 48" (maybe 50" if the specs work better with that size, and/or the cost is somehow lower). I do prefer 2015 models.

Budget-wise, well, I'd like to spend as little as possible lol, but if you can convince me that there's a TV that I shouldn't refuse, I can stretch. I'll probably wait until Black Friday and/or Cyber Monday to buy this TV, so that gives me a bit of time.

I won't even mind if the TV is lightly used - as long as it is effectively performing the same as a brand new TV with very minor if any cosmetic issues. The same preference holds with refurbished condition TVs, though I'm not sure if I should or should not trust refurbished TVs (should I?).

I did look at many of the Samsung TVs but many of them seem to have only 60Hz with a digitized "120Hz" motion rate (I feel like this is a bit of marketing gimmick). But, I may have overlooked some good ones they had.

Can someone please recommend me a specific model that hits high on all cylinders?

Thanks in advance!

I'm sorry to say, but I don't know any more than you right now when it comes to Samsung and HDR. There isn't a standard yet so expect a ton of different versions across brands... I personally do think that it only applies to 2015 models, that's what the techs at Samsung said. Let's hope that the 2014 model will support HDR as well. Keep in mind that Samsung stated that you wouldn't need a new HDMI cable, ´however, the support you spoke to said otherwise. I dont work for Samsung, so asking for advice regarding various tech is one thing, but product specific question are difficult to answer. I say go for it, buy it and find out for yourself. :)

All the best!

iPen

Estimable
Aug 1, 2015

Hey, I ended up buying a TV today lol. But not the one we were discussing. It's instead the Samsung UN48JU7500 (3D, 4K, 120Hz native, 48", HDR capable, curved, etc.).

But the best part is the price... after searching on various online outlets including eBay and refurbished deals at NewEgg, TigerDirect, etc., I decided to take a look at Craigslist. And, low and behold, someone needed cash so he sold it to me for about 60% off retail! There are no scratches, it's only a month old, and everything works - even the manufacturer's protective sticker was still on it! I hope I did well!

I couldn't of had been able to even know what to look for without you all. I probably would have ended up getting something else like the non-HDR models, which I would have regretted 1-2+ years down the road when 4K and HDR content becomes more mainstream. So thanks again everyone!

Our pleasure to help! That is a really good deal, HDR isn't that expensive now (no premium), but once we see the new blu-ray players, and once brands get their hands on before and after images of HDR. I'm willing to bet that they will make people pay a lot more than a "regular" dynamic range, no doubt about that. The only people that currently follow the HDR news are experts and home theater people, not your average consumer. And they are so cheap because it's being showcased during events, not in stores, yet...

All the best, beatiful TV! :)

TRENDING THREADS