recommend a good bulletin board package

merk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2001
I've got a win2k3 machine with 2 sites that i am looking to put a bulletin board on. I was looking at the asp.net v2 forums but i'm getting a little worried about waiting for that since their server has been pretty unusable the last few days. So i'm considering alternatives.

One of the sites has an existing BB from infopop, its a ubb classic v5.x

So i am considering moving that to a ubb thread assuming it will import all the existing users and threads into the new system.

The other two i've seen are phpbb.com and vbulletin.com

Does anyone have any other suggestions for a bullletin board? The one thing i know that i want right now is something that uses a database backend. I dont want a million text files getting generated (which is what the existing ubb 5.x forum does).

jihiggs

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2001
i use phpbb on my website, it works great. its the website in my signature.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring valve security module!

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I have a friend with several popular sites, (one of which got him an invite to E3 two years in a row). He is very happy with phpBB.

Plus phpBB is free (open source) and will run on any platform so if your need to switch to an ISP running unix or linux you will have zero problems moving the board.

merk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2001
yeah thats what i am going with. The only problem i've run into so far is the importer i found going from ubb to phpbb is a PITA to use. But i only have to do that once and it seems to have about a 98% success rate in importing all the posts, so its not that bad. Going to switch over to the phpbb board this coming weekend after i do the import.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Converting from one BB to another is always a PITA. Which is why you need one that works on every possible platform so you will never have to do it again.

merk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2001
oh i'm not worried about cross platform. if this forum has to get converted to another platform, that means it'll be someone elses problem :)