Recommend an e-reader?

hello2014

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Canadian here who wants to acquire an e-reader.

Based on the following criteria - which one would you suggest?:

- preferably within $115 with HST included price ceiling
- excellent dictionary functionality (important)
- with screen technology and resolution that isn't hurtful for the eyes(eye strain/damage safe in general)
- lightweight
- expandable memory(microSD)

Pluses:
- mp3/audio support
- has hardware buttons

I'm not sure about the format support as I've heard that EPUB seems to be all you need(and it looks like it's going to be a standard in the future?) so I assume if an ereader supports EPUB then you can convert any other format(pdf, chm, html, mobi, cbz) into it easily with Calibri.

aevm

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
The most important question here is whether you intend to borrow e-books from a public library. If you do, you cannot get a Kindle because Canadian public libraries offer only epub (and sometimes pdf formats) and you can't read those on a Kindle. They usually have DRM so you can't convert them to Kindle format with Calibre either.

If that's not an issue, by all means get a Kindle. I've got 3 myself :)

My favorite is this one:
http://www.amazon.ca/Amazon-53-000199-Kindle-Display-Wi-Fi/dp/B007HCCOD0
because it has hardware buttons. I don't like touch screens and I hate fingerprints on the screen...

There used to be a Kindle Keyboard too,
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Keyboard-Free-Wi-Fi-Display/dp/B004HZYA6E
which had support for audio and better battery and storage than the more recent version I linked above, but it may be difficult to find that one now.

hello2014

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

Borrow from libraries? No. But I would like to be able to read EPUB since it's so popular. So Kindle is out I assume?

aevm

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
If you do care about the public library thing now... In that case you want a reader that supports epub. If you do get a mobi or rtf or other format, without DRM, you can indeed convert it to epub with Calibre. TBH I don't know what to recommend in this case. I bought a Kobo Glo last year, it looked perfect in theory. In practice, I had to return it because I couldn't get used to the touch interface and because the battery ran out in just half an hour of playing with the menus. Maybe a Sony reader would do better...

symsus

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
I had gotten a Kindle Paperwhite for my birthday present as have to say it's quite impressive. The screen is not too dark and not too light when reading in the day. During the night I'd like to turn my light on a bit to read just not to strain my eyes.

It has expandable memory which was a plus and it also has an Oxford Dictionary where you can translate words and takes you to the wiki pages (if required) on the words searched. You can also add notes to it as well. It's a pretty good e-reader and if you need one now I'd get it otherwise try wait for the 2nd edition. I heard one is coming out but this e-reader is fine the way it is. It's nice and simple

hello2014

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

Kindle doesn't support EPUB. Which is unfortunate.

hello2014

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

No, library borrowing is not what I plan on doing, ever.

aevm

Distinguished
May 18, 2007

Not necessarily. You can convert any epub to mobi with calibre in seconds. I do that whenever I get a Dumas or Jules Verne from French sites, for example. Project Gutenberg on the other hand offers both epub and mobi and a bunch of other formats as well.

You could buy a Sony and/or a Kobo and try it, then return them if you're not happy. Just because I didn't like them doesn't mean you won't, and they do know epubs. Mind you, they don't know mobi, so then you'd need to use calibre when you have a mobi.

I have no idea if epub or mobi will be the winner eventually, but mobi is pushed by Amazon and I suspect it will be around forever.

hello2014

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

Which models of Sony and Kobo would you recommend?