Recommended laptop for family + minecraft

jlh090

Estimable
Mar 21, 2014
Hi-
I am looking to purchase a laptop for our family as a 2nd computer. The kids would also like something that will work well for Minecraft- including mods and server use. I am really clueless about what all this means.
I have been searching threads and forums but this is really not my area and I would really appreciate a recommendation. I understand we should have a dedicated graphics card?
We are considering a Macbook Air, but I am thinking we could get more computer and more of what we need for far less money if we went with a Windows machine. We have an HP desktop for the main computer in our home now.
Thanks in advance!

If you have cash to buy a Macbook air (OMG expensive) then just get a gaming laptop, there are some new releases mentioned here on Tom's Hardware's front page. That would settle what you need without worry about the details. Realistically I would download the "Idiots Guide" to Computer, or Windows or even Minecraft to help you understand (these are very nicely written books and many 'geeks' swear by them') because this is a long term thing, and if you (as a parent I am advising) aren't aware of what the kids are up to, you won't as well be able to protect them from the dangers.

Think of it this way, your kid just came to you and asked you to buy a plane ticket to 'LegoLand' for them, would you just buy the plane ticket and a credit card and watch him/her walk out the door? Same thing you should apply to the entire Internet, your buying the 'plane ticket' to access any of these places, and if you have no idea where / what they are doing, you will be very upset later when you really learn what they were up to.

jlh090

Estimable
Mar 21, 2014
I would prefer to spend less than the $850 I was looking at for the refurbished MacBook Air 11". Screen size 13" or more would be ideal but I'd go as low as 11" or so. I was looking at HP models because I like my HP desktop but started looking at Lenovo models when I started thinking I should get a graphics card?? Sorry I don't have model #s because I am kind of confused now that I am trying to find something they can game with as well -I want them off my desktop :)
Thanks so much for replying & being willing to try to help!

Uhm for 800, there is plenty of 'gamers desktops" I would recommend over a laptop. Laptop being portable in the hands of kids tend to get 'dropped' or sat upon, especially that SMALL. You do NOT want something that small for them, that is very bad for their eyes, but larger systems are HEAVIER, especially for children (7lbs or so) . Further any 'laptop' for gaming is 2x the price of a comparable desktop because they need to make the parts light, not overheat so easily (ever feel the bottom of a laptop OUCH!), and most of all able to 'fit' inside the small design of a laptop as compared to a desktop.

Here is a suggested build, a bit over your budget but is a buy all in one, since you unfamiliar with computers in general (i.e. couldn't build one yourself) http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Xtreme_1000/

jlh090

Estimable
Mar 21, 2014
Thank you for the responses and for the link to the Asus. I still have one of the first generation Asus Netbooks that worked well while it was in its prime, so would certainly consider another Asus, as it was quite reliable. Right now, that seems like the best option, although I am also considering this from Pavillion from HP

• AMD Quad-Core A4-5000 Processor + 1GB AMD Radeon™ HD 8670M Discrete
• 15.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1366x768)
• 4GB DDR3 System Memory (1Dimm)
• 500GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
• SuperMulti 8X DVD +/- R/RW with Double Layer Support
• 802.11b/g/n WLAN[1X1]
It is $449 configured that way. Thoughts between that and the ASUS model?

I also appreciate that a desktop is a cheaper option, but am pretty set on purchasing a laptop, as I want to replace that Netbook I have. I just figured while I was buying a laptop, I may as well get one that will fit what the kids are doing too, so both computers work for what the family is using them to do.
While I am not completely unfamiliar with computers in general (I probably should have stated that differently, but you are correct, I certainly could not build one myself)- but I am not familiar with requirements needed for the gaming aspect, as I am not a gamer.

I really appreciate that people take the time to give me suggestions and help with my purchase- it is nice you are both willing to contribute your time to help people out!
Thanks!!

EWWWWW Noooossss.. All the A4, A6, etc. are cheapo just to 'get on the Internet' like a netbook under performers and couldn't even come close to playing Minecraft.

Honestly there is no 'gaming laptop' for under $1200 that the kids won't sit there and scream about how much they 'can not play the game' as the extra 'cost' is for the gamecard and as mentioned the design limitations.

If you just need a 'laptop' for the kids, I would recommend stopping at Walmart, I seen a i3 laptop for $249 before, simple and straight forward and NO MINECRAFT. Yeah they can play the Facebook games, but nothing else on it. If you want them to play 'games' minimally your looking at $1200 or more for a laptop, your paying for the portability.