Recording on my new gaming PC drops FPS to 2fps

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ChummyCoffee

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I custom built my PC a few weeks ago, mainly to game and record on. But recently all my recording software drops my fps to 2fps on every single game.

It did this once, but I fixed it somehow, but It's doing it again, and this time I cant fix it. Please don't say it's my specs because I have a GTX 780ti, 16gb ram, i7 4770k processor. AND I recorded fine before.

I've noticed lately that games that don't run on the steam engine drop to about 10-15 fps, and source games drop to 1-5 fps. Anyways, my fps shouldn't really drop at all. I have used Fraps and Dxtory. I really want to use Dxtory because I love it so much, I just wish it would work.

I have tried numerous setting inside the software, but all same result.

ChummyCoffee

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

But at the same time, I think its not a heat problem. Because its not even that hot.

I only have the three stock fans

http://prntscr.com/2nf34z

Is it possible the GPU fans need to be cleaned?

Also, I tried moving fan 3 to the side panel, right beside the gpu. No difference...

tachybana

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Have you played aroudn wtih the AI Suite 3? it allows you to monitor the fans (and the pc temperatures). Read the figures you puts out. This would serioius ease your worriers, else point it at a faulty card (call customer services and have it RMA for a replacement)

Keep me posted

ChummyCoffee

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

I dont really know what AI Suite 3 is or how to use it :\

I just wish the thing I spent 2000 dollars to do could actually do it.. :\

tachybana

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
The AI Suite 3 is a software that came in with your Asus Z87-Pro Motherboard (check the packaging) else i believe you can dowload it here as well Is it under utilities. (http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z87PRO/#support)

Also, don't sweat it it dude, we will try to help with what we can :) Its all in the fun of buidling your own RIG.

ChummyCoffee

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

Been on the phone with customer service. Looks like I have a trojan that is making my GPU usage go to 100% thus making performance in-game and recording very slow.