Solved! Recording to SD card format

Feb 15, 2021
I'm old, but new to MP3 listening and recording. My questions are these:

Can I use a headphone jack as a source for recording to a device that uses SD cards?

My idea is to attach a device using its headphone jack and a 3.5mm connector to an audio digitizer so I can translate files to an SD card for use in radios that have SD card slots for playback.

I'm looking at an audio digitizer that costs about $25 and it has an SD card slot, USB jack, audio in jacks, a headset jack to monitor the sound, and it is fairly small. I realize for this price it is probably relatively low quality. But I don't have a computer anymore, only a tablet and cellphones and it's the only way I can think of to record to SD for use in playback only devices.

In my ignorance am I missing something? Is there another way?

I've been looking to buy a radio that is retro in look but that does the modern functions of BT/USB/SD recording as well as listening. Unfortunately the truly retro looking devices often lack things I need. I need it to record as well as play, have an aux in jack as well as headset jack, be AC with a regular plug (not a USB plug that just recharges a battery).

I've narrowed it down to a few sets otherwise known as retro boomboxes. I don't want CD or tape, just radio, BT, USB, SD, but I couldn't find anything that records to USB/SD without at least a tape section.

May I ask recommendations or suggestions for a particular set?

I've been looking at reviews on YouTube to help focus on the right set. So far, I've found boomboxes by Crosley, ION, and Riptunes. The Supersonic/GPX box lacks an auxiliary jack.

Can I mention make and model numbers here?

This is my first post, so please excuse me for being a little random. Thanks!

Solution

Can I use a headphone jack as a source for recording to a device that uses SD cards?

My idea is to attach a device using its headphone jack and a 3.5mm connector to an audio digitizer so I can translate files to an SD card for use in radios that have SD card slots for playback.

I'm looking at an audio digitizer that costs about $25 and it has an SD card slot, USB jack, audio in jacks, a headset jack to monitor the sound, and it is fairly small. I realize for this price it is probably relatively low quality. But I don't have a computer anymore, only a tablet and cellphones and it's the only way I can think of to record to SD for use in playback only...
I use a Canadian utility named Total Recorder which costs you CDN$ 9.99 for the download.

Install it and it will make a copy of any piece of speech or music. Then and you create it as a normal file.

When you have all those files, copy and paste them into your Micro SD. Using a USB SdCard unit and take that to your device.

Mine is a car radio/CD and it works perfectly.

I'm looking at an audio digitizer that costs about $25 and it has an SD card slot, USB jack, audio in jacks, a headset jack to monitor the sound, and it is fairly small. I realize for this price it is probably relatively low quality. But I don't have a computer anymore, only a tablet and cellphones and it's the only way I can think of to record to SD for use in playback only devices.

In my ignorance am I missing something? Is there another way?

I've been looking to buy a radio that is retro in look but that does the modern functions of BT/USB/SD recording as well as listening. Unfortunately the truly retro looking devices often lack things I need. I need it to record as well as play, have an aux in jack as well as headset jack, be AC with a regular plug (not a USB plug that just recharges a battery).

I've narrowed it down to a few sets otherwise known as retro boomboxes. I don't want CD or tape, just radio, BT, USB, SD, but I couldn't find anything that records to USB/SD without at least a tape section.

May I ask recommendations or suggestions for a particular set?

I've been looking at reviews on YouTube to help focus on the right set. So far, I've found boomboxes by Crosley, ION, and Riptunes. The Supersonic/GPX box lacks an auxiliary jack.

Can I mention make and model numbers here?

This is my first post, so please excuse me for being a little random. Thanks!

You have a few things that need to be worked out first. What files exactly are you trying to convert to MP3s and what are you going to play them on? To make an MP3 you need to start with some other source, so whatever source you are using needs to be able to be connected to whatever you use to convert it and save to the card.

If you are going for a certain look for a stereo system instead of function and quality first you are going to be limited. Does audio quality matter to you or do you just want the thing to make some noise? All those radios you found are from low end brands built to be cheap not good. Do you need it portable? Need something to play in a car also?

The best solution is to get a computer to do all this on, and copy the files from there to your phone/tablet/whatever once they are encoded. A used laptop costs about what a low end phone costs, lots out there for $150-200 with perfectly good specs to run anything outside of games. Stick the files on whatever you have, then a decent bluetooth speaker will take care of playing the files or through a cable. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XGG6MF...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

You can also subscribe to a music service or even use free versions of things like Spoltify, iHeartRadio, Pandora, YouTube has plenty of music also.

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 15, 2021
I'm forced to low budget options unfortunately. However I think I've stumbled on a solution that covers the cost and function issues. Instead of the audio digitizer, I came across a tiny digital radio that will allow recording via aux in jack and Bluetooth. Most lower cost radios I've seen that have SD card recording don't allow BT recording, or they may not have an auxiliary in jack. This one seems to check my boxes and it's under $30.

My main concern is that I want something to play relaxation music at night, for white noise, but also be able to be used during the day maybe for old time broadcasts (radio shows, music). I'm in a nursing home now and can't have high end equipment, can't even have an outdoor antenna for my Grundig radios so now they're glorified FM tuners with no shortwave or SSB access.

Now that I've found the solution for recording to SD cards, now I need to find a bedside tuner that plugs into the wall the old fashioned way instead of by USB port, but that also has SD card playback and a headset jack for private listening. I love retro sets that have old fashioned faces with glowy dials but it's a trial trying to find one that does what I want. Usually if they have the look they don't have the functions I need. Or they have almost everything but are missing a critical one.

Thank you for trying to answer my quest.

I'm forced to low budget options unfortunately. However I think I've stumbled on a solution that covers the cost and function issues. Instead of the audio digitizer, I came across a tiny digital radio that will allow recording via aux in jack and Bluetooth. Most lower cost radios I've seen that have SD card recording don't allow BT recording, or they may not have an auxiliary in jack. This one seems to check my boxes and it's under $30.

My main concern is that I want something to play relaxation music at night, for white noise, but also be able to be used during the day maybe for old time broadcasts (radio shows, music). I'm in a nursing home now and can't have high end equipment, can't even have an outdoor antenna for my Grundig radios so now they're glorified FM tuners with no shortwave or SSB access.

Now that I've found the solution for recording to SD cards, now I need to find a bedside tuner that plugs into the wall the old fashioned way instead of by USB port, but that also has SD card playback and a headset jack for private listening. I love retro sets that have old fashioned faces with glowy dials but it's a trial trying to find one that does what I want. Usually if they have the look they don't have the functions I need. Or they have almost everything but are missing a critical one.

Thank you for trying to answer my quest.

You still need something to record from, what are you going to be recording from? Just the radio? This one lets you record from radio to the cards https://www.sharperimage.com/view/p...LAs - Medium&utm_medium=CPC&utm_source=Google

Pugging things to the wall instead of USB is not an issue, you can just use a USB charger like they have for phones to power it.

Feb 15, 2021
You still need something to record from,
=================

Thank you for the link. That looks like a Kaito KA29 that I've seen on Walmart for about $30. I researched it using YouTube reviews and found out about some of its features.

I found a newer radio by XHDATA that is about 25$ and it records from all of the sources the KA29 will, plus from Bluetooth.

I'm not sure yet what my music source will be, but there are no old music stations that come in clearly here that I'd classify as relaxing. I'd have to have a time travel machine to get the stations I used to listen to. The option is to buy some music online but I haven't done that yet.

I don't want a CD player. The ones I have had didn't last long even if I paid over $100. I've never had an mp3 player even when I had a computer. An SD card can hold a lot of music in a tiny size and that is the best option right now, but I just need to learn how to use it.

There is a radio called a Retekess TR618 that plugs in and has an SD card playback function but no Bluetooth. I may get that while looking for the "ideal" retro unit.

I have a Retekess HR-11S emergency radio that plays with an SD slot but it uses an USB port to plug in. Some reviews say not to use the USB cord for powering radios that charge by USB and others say it's fine. The main issue is that the cords I have are too short to plug in and keep the radio at bedside so I can use my headset to blot noise.

There's a small Supersonic radio i like that has SD playback besides AM/FM/SW radio for about $22 but again, mixed reviews on whether or not it can be used while plugged in. Some reviews I saw said yes, others said no.

Unfortunately the only sure way to find out is to buy the radio. I don't mind collecting radios, but I want to buy ones that will work for my needs.

===============

what are you going to be recording from? Just the radio? This one lets you record from radio to the cards https://www.sharperimage.com/view/product/Radio+Recorder/203725?Keyword=&adpos=&cm_mmc=CPC-_-Google-_-Shopping PLAs - Medium-_-Product Price $50 - $89.99&creative=379960855349&creative=379960855349&device=c&gclid=CjwKCAiAmrOBBhA0EiwArn3mfNY0u8afi6Eeqjl5bH73XgPs-blZT04F-KebXL6j5bT3zh3VaocVRxoC1asQAvD_BwE&matchtype=&mkwid=8sKZaljq|pkw||pcrid|379960855349|pmt||pdv|c|slid||productid|203725-01|pgrid=21950134103&network=g&p=plist2470005&ptaid=pla-761742701218&utm_campaign=Shopping PLAs - Medium&utm_medium=CPC&utm_source=Google

Pugging things to the wall instead of USB is not an issue, you can just use a USB charger like they have for phones to power it.