Solved! red cross on internet

Sep 23, 2021
When i start my laptop for class there's always this red 'x' on the internet logo and it says no connections available even though my mobile is connected to the internet. This has been a recent problem. Other times I would easily rectify it by pressing the ariplane button. As soon as i pressed, two logos, one of wifi and the other - bluetooth would appear on the screen so i could just switch them on and off but now nothing appears on the screen. Not only that, when i press the sound button to increase/decrease the volume, a scale of 1 to 10 used to appear but now nothing happens. Is this a serious problem? I feel like everything would be normal if the sound and airplane mode graphics appear on the screen

Solution
When i start my laptop for class there's always this red 'x' on the internet logo and it says no connections available even though my mobile is connected to the internet. This has been a recent problem. Other times I would easily rectify it by pressing the ariplane button. As soon as i pressed, two logos, one of wifi and the other - bluetooth would appear on the screen so i could just switch them on and off but now nothing appears on the screen. Not only that, when i press the sound button to increase/decrease the volume, a scale of 1 to 10 used to appear but now nothing happens. Is this a serious problem? I feel like everything would be normal if the sound and airplane mode graphics appear on the screen

Anything happen...

BEAUFORD_SAVAGE

Respectable
Sep 6, 2020
I don't think those Icons are anything but a symptom of the problems. This is just me speaking, but if your certain the airplane mode is indeed OFF, then I would do a system restore, on start-up, choosing the "save data " option when that option appears. This may sound a bit drastic, but without knowing more about the computer than you have given, and it being such a odd problem, it is something that is* very* likely to solve your issue, without damaging your data. You would be doing a system restore from the back-up sector of your hard drive, which is a harmless way to get odd problems like this solved. I will assume you are running windows 10 for an O.S. Then follow THIS <LINK. If you are running windows 7, then just type in the title of this tutorial the link takes you to and type windows 7 in place of 10 (I'm pretty sure it works the same on both OS versions anyway), and enter in the search bar. This solution will restore your Windows AND drivers to new, wiping out any weird problems in the process. It IS safe to do!

Anything happen before the status overlays stopped showing up? Those are controlled by the laptop software and drivers from the laptop vendor. You do any sort of driver updates using a 3rd party tool? Had a Windows update happen? No connections available error can be from airplane mode being on, the network card disabled or not working or drivers not loaded for it. Check device manager to make sure the card is there and has no issues, make sure airplane mode is not on. Once you turn it off it should not disable again unless you are not shutting down the computer properly.

Going to the laptop vendor sure and checking for newer WiFi and a newer BIOS is a good idea, also check for the chipset drivers.

Solution