Reddit's Erik Martin on SOPA: "The End Of Reddit"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
In StarTrek, we imagined humanity driven by curiosity, while most of the other human characteristics were put on alien species. How is it going, seems like we got the prediction wrong, as humans appear more like feringi.

But here is the catch, the 99% is not like that, and if the 1% pushes like they are doing, then indeed a revolution is at hand as coexistence would be very unpleasant.
And after the revolution, new laws will be put in place, laws that will be designed to prevent any future attempt to things like the SOPA.

Practically, if this passes will be a giant step towards the whole system failing big time.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
Obama knows he is not going to get elected to a second term, this is the beginning of all the crazy big governemnt policies he wants to get out the door before he leaves.

[citation][nom]errorcode99[/nom]wth this is not democratic!! the population should be taking those decisions!![/citation]
Actually, in America we don't have a direct democracy, we have a representative democracy. In a direct democracy, everyone would vote on everything. In a representative democracy, we "freely" select representatives who then make the decisions. We just seem to have gotten hold of the wrong lot of representatives. (paraphrase of a line from the play Good Evening)

donovands

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
So move? There are lots and lots and lots of places that would be happy to have US internet giants relocate to their backyard. Wanna come to Trinidad & Tobago? We'd love to have you.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]It would be a Democratic President signing SOPA into law, and a Democratically controlled Senate passing it. I don't see how you get to typing in all caps do not vote for Republicans when it's only through the will of the Democratic party that any such law could pass. There is 0 possibility that the Republican party could pass SOPA without Obama backing it, or a 2/3 vote in the legislature, which would require a lot of Democrats. So I know if SOPA passes, the only possible presidential candidate who'd fight to repeal it is Ron Paul. A Republican.[/citation]

It always amuses me when people blame republicans for copyright garbage. IIRC, Sonny Bono was a DEMOCRAT and look what he did for us.

Republicans lean toward personal freedom and personal accountability. SOPA is more akin to nanny state legislation.

G

I've written an article that talks about "Piracy" and why it is really the last stand of reason! It pretty much agrees with Gabe's statement that piracy is rather a service-related issue than a cost-related one. Here is the article:

http://loudenvier.blogspot.com/2010/11/piracy-last-stand-of-reason.html

I'm not in favor of piracy, I'm stating just the obvious: it does exist because the concept of copyright have been twisted by the powers that be.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]This is America. They're only "democratic" on TV. Everything else is governed by money. People want one thing, corporations want another? Screw the people.[/citation]
Wrong again. The USA is a Republic (remember the "to the Republic for which it stands..." phrase?). This means we have an electoral college and all that happy horse crap to vote for "representatives" (there's a house named after them btw), which in turn are supposed to pass laws and the like in the people's best interest. If not, they get replaced (hopefully) next election. But things don't always work out as well as they look on paper....

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]KawiNinjaZX[/nom]Obama knows he is not going to get elected to a second term, this is the beginning of all the crazy big governemnt policies he wants to get out the door before he leaves.[/citation]
You are mistaken on multiple levels. This is a bi-partisan bill and the guy heading the committee and co-authored the bill is a Texas Republican who won't even allow 'internet experts' to testify outside of the one Google lawyer invited to the hearings. The only people Lamar invited were MPAA/RIAA lobbyists who all were convincing the congressmen that this law is the best thing since sliced bread and the only Google representative was basically lambasted during her testimony as being on the 'side of the pirates'. All you need to do is find and watch this sham of a hearing in the archives and you'll see how disgusting and corrupt our process has become, regardless of a -D or -R behind the name. Both parties have been bought and paid for and have been convinced if they don't pass this 'merica is gonna lose jobs to the evil pirates. The issue isn't the Dems or Repubs, it's both and it's naive to simply wave your hands in the air and blame all the problems on Obama (not that I'm absolving him of any fault in this, I honestly wish he'd grow a pair and start vetoing crap like this). Similarly, all the Dems out there blaming this on the Repubs equally naive. This is a bi-partisan bill and both sides are working to convince the public that it's the other side's fault that bad legislation like this gets through, and they are quite successful at pitting us against each other.

nicodemus_mm

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
I think on Day One that SOPA is in effect (assuming is passes) people need to accuse the following websites of copyright infringement. Remember, it doesn't have to be proven, just an accusation.

Everything listed here... http://www.usa.gov/directory/federal/index.shtml

I bet when ISP's shut down every gov't website, in accordance with the law, the legislators responsible for this tripe will think twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.