Reinstalling Windows 7

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
Hello, A friend brought over a laptop (i believe it's a K53 series). An i3 and GT 520MX laptop.
Anyhow, He wants to reinstall windows. I put in my Windows 7 CD, and go to bios and set the boot option to DVD drive. After I save and restart, the PC screen goes through the ASUS logo and then there's a black screen with a white cursor blinking in the top right corner. The DVD Drive's green light is also blinking. After like 5 minutes, it just continues to boot to windows. In windows, the DVD is seen as empty. So i put in another DVD install disc and again, same problem, still seen as empty.Both CDs work on my normal rig. And I'm using the same CD as I've used with many PCs and laptops. I tried with a USB, but the bios doesn't even have an option to boot from USB. it's a pre 2010 era PC.

Any suggestions? Is the DVD drive shot?

Thanks guys.

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

Yes. The PC has this operating system since day 1. The registry is probably all corrupted, it's slow as heck,...
I know getting rid of bloatware would help, but the condition which it has been put through makes it impossible to work on the current operating system.