Rejoice! Google Maps for iPhone is Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]rjkucia[/nom]And then Apple removes it for replicating functionality.[/citation] That's if they can find it.

Be0wulf22

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
What did they do to it?? It's nothing like the previous app we had. It works about as well as opening up googlemaps.com in safari. Disappointed. :(

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]That, together will "all-new", tops my chart of "Most hated marketing phrases".[/citation]

I mean... how else are you supposed to design something? Imagine: you're designing a maps app. So instead of starting from scratch and creating an app step by step, you take a puzzle game and slap it on top of some maps...

... oh wait, that's Apple Maps. Well, I guess it HAD to be pointed out in this case.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]Be0wulf22[/nom]What did they do to it?? It's nothing like the previous app we had. It works about as well as opening up googlemaps.com in safari. Disappointed.[/citation]

Still better than Apple Maps.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
[citation][nom]Be0wulf22[/nom]What did they do to it?? It's nothing like the previous app we had. It works about as well as opening up googlemaps.com in safari. Disappointed.[/citation]It is slow and choppy compared to Apple Maps. Can't wait for my Nexus 4 to be shipped.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]stratplaya[/nom]Apple maps works. I've never had an issue. Things got out of hand when a few fan bois with jobs in journalism actually tried to follow directions.[/citation]
All fixed now.

godfather666

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
To me, it is a great improvement over Apple Maps, because it has much better traffic data and can find faster routes, especially during rush hour.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Ironically google is admitting that the iOS version of the maps app is better then the android one, at least that's what techcrunch is saying.

tiret

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
so let me get this straight - apple needs a product from google (its enemy in the OS game) to tell their sheep how to get from the pen to the green fields. because their own app is that sh*t!!!
lol

G

When rumors emerged that said Google had submitted an application for App Store approval, the search giant denied it. However, it seems Google has been hard at work developing an iOS app, as Google Maps for iPhone is now available in the App Store.

From you article you imply the search giant did not deny their own app, apple did but say google denied it...

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]rjkucia[/nom]And then Apple removes it for replicating functionality.[/citation]
That's the joke of the day (Apple Maps being functional, that is).

gggplaya

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]I mean... how else are you supposed to design something? Imagine: you're designing a maps app. So instead of starting from scratch and creating an app step by step, you take a puzzle game and slap it on top of some maps...... oh wait, that's Apple Maps. Well, I guess it HAD to be pointed out in this case.[/citation]

Get an android phone. Maps is quick, clear, and has full vehicle navigation like you'd buy in a store. It's been like that for like 3-4 years now.

Google can't try to fix the iphone, they would help apple be in direct competition with itself. So you get the watered down version of maps, same as on safari.

As far as maps and navigation go, android > apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.