Remote Control Options For TV and Equipment Different Floors

malkochoglu

Commendable
Dec 6, 2016
Hi,
I will be moving into a new house, previous owners for some reason, probably aesthetics, preferred to have the TV in the first floor and set up their FIOS box, A/V receiver and DVD Player in the basement. I have no idea or experience on remote world.
I will have a FIOS and Samsung Smart TV only, maybe in the future a home theater set up, too. I saw previous owners were using a MX-900. As far as I read it is a quite expensive HW and has programming cost, too. I don't want to spend hundreds. So if we want to go for that set up, leave equipment in basement and watch TV upstairs:
*) What are my technology options? Wi-fi, RF, IR...? (There might have been left a IR extender cable, I remember a thin one.)
*) There are one left MX-900 programmed for another room set up and a harmony universal remote which I don't remember its model right now. One option maybe I can have it reprogrammed for this room.
*) What is a fair programming cost?
*) If it uses IR extenders eventually why should I pay for MX-900 instead of a cheaper less fancy universal remote?
*) What are the most cost effective/cheapest but solid remote model/brand set up for this case? Does it need expert tooling, wiring, etc. costs? I am not a DIY guy.

I really appreciate your time and help.
Thank you...

Solution
With just a set top box and TV you don't need a a complex remote. Your Fios remote can operate the TV and box. You can use an IR extender or a Nextgen RF adapter
http://www.nextgen.us/remote-extender-plus-receiver-kit-p/remoteextenderplus.htm
Usually works well. not expensive, simple installation and no programming.
There are probably free apps for your Fios box and TV that would work over WIFI. You would have to switch back and forth between them which might get annoying fast.
The MX-900 by itself is IR and RF. Reprogramming it would probably be $200 or more. The advantage is it can be customized. The Harmony is the same except it is programmed on the Harmony website. Not as flexible but programming is free. You would need to use a...
With just a set top box and TV you don't need a a complex remote. Your Fios remote can operate the TV and box. You can use an IR extender or a Nextgen RF adapter
http://www.nextgen.us/remote-extender-plus-receiver-kit-p/remoteextenderplus.htm
Usually works well. not expensive, simple installation and no programming.
There are probably free apps for your Fios box and TV that would work over WIFI. You would have to switch back and forth between them which might get annoying fast.
The MX-900 by itself is IR and RF. Reprogramming it would probably be $200 or more. The advantage is it can be customized. The Harmony is the same except it is programmed on the Harmony website. Not as flexible but programming is free. You would need to use a matching RF receiver if you didn't have an IR extender system in place. RF is much better when you use macros. Not needed until you decide to go to a full AV set up. Then it make sense.

Solution