Removal of DRM May Prevent (Some) Music Piracy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Remove you DRM crap or keep it, no file is getting onto my storage media unless I have complete control over it. I'm not interested in what protection methods you will or will not come up with; they won't affect me either way.

That said, artists should earn from performances/live shows/DJ sets. Look at Infected Muchroom's schedule, for example - fully loaded. That's how a musician must earn money.

I support the artists I like by going to their gigs and getting their T-shirts.

That's right.

And record companies can frankly go to hell. All publishers can, be it books, games or music. I don't understand why some POS company like EA or a music "label" can own the rights to the art work and why do artists need them on the first place.

ct001

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
The DRM was never meant to stop piracy. Piracy is just the excuse they use to convince the gov to enact silly laws, and to play with the media. Napster scared the music industry silly because it was a new business model they didn't foresee, and couldn't control (they were going to lose their monopoly). The whole piracy charade is a red herring, a good excuse, so that the laws/coutrs/media are in place when another technology they don't foresee hits, they'll have the capability to shut it down before it becomes a threat. The music industry (and movie industry) doesn't want a free/open market with fair competition and consumer choice. And that's what this whole song and dance is designed to eliminate, a few pirated songs is the least of their worries.

adjman

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Honestly I would buy digital music if 1) it was available in any format for download, even uncompressed formats and 2) if when I purchased that track, they kept a record of that purchase and allowed me to download as many times as I need to, ie. something like Steam for music having it for movies would be great too allowing us to upgrade our collection to a higher resolution when it comes out rather than paying a premium for them to put it on a new disc. 3)if there were deals on music that I actually enjoy, I am not a mainstream music listener and a lot of the time I can barely find a cd I am looking for anywhere let alone them having a deal on it. 4) I was free to do what I needed to with that music, meaning no DRM. 5)

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
How hard is it to figure that out? Put DRM on a product, put in tons of annoying ads for products I don't give a crap about (DVDs and Bluray discs), and of COURSE I'll go to bittorrent. Oh wait, then there's more piracy even though DRM was designed to PREVENT piracy. Again, screw the user who plays legitimately, the pirates get around it anyway. Happens every time.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]toxin440[/nom]Put it this way -- what if you buy a standard nice car for $20,000 and every time you get in it to go to work/school/etc the GPS screen pops up and forces you to sit there for 60 seconds watching the latest advertisement for service or other crap?[/citation]
One day I went to a gas station and guess what? While filling, the screen on it (a color LCD, wouldn't a cheap monochrome one work?) was playing ads. Get rid of the screen, save a bunch money (that helps make up for the lack of ad revenue), and then you won't piss me off, making me more likely to buy gas there.

CPU666d1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
It would be good if what they say would happen would happen, but I doubt it as every musian would want every single cent that is owed to them.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]!Edited by moderator: please do not use insults at Tom's, thank you.[/citation]
So why don't you crack down on all the others that do??

kalizec

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Media need to:
- find a distribution model which cuts out the layers of waste called big content.
- this allows the price to drop by a factor of 10 or more (go look at the money distribution for common CD's and check which parts goes to the artist.
- be as easy to get; this includes not having to wait longer than half an hour or leaving my couch.
- be as easy to use; this includes watching it on any device/method I can think of and more.
- should get rid of any and all hindrances like warnings, ads, etc
- be available at the same time as the hype begins; this includes making movies at the same time in all regions AND at the same time as it hits the movie-theaters.

theblackbird

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
There was a Russian site, allofmp3.com, that actually sold drm-free mp3's for a very nice price (about 3 euro per album). At that time I actually paid for my music, and I was willing to pay even more than 3 euro. But as always the RIAA didn't like it and put it out of business. After that I started downloading my music from torrent sites.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]theblackbird[/nom]There was a Russian site, allofmp3.com, that actually sold drm-free mp3's for a very nice price (about 3 euro per album). At that time I actually paid for my music, and I was willing to pay even more than 3 euro. But as always the RIAA didn't like it and put it out of business. After that I started downloading my music from torrent sites.[/citation]

Use mp3panda instead them - They have the same business model. In the last couple years I've bought more than 600gb music from that site, and not downloaded a single pirated album that I could've gotten there instead.
I first found that site because I wanted some german music that germans appearently only wanted to share with austrians and the swiss (amazom.de, musicload.de) in drm free form. So I googled till I found it on there. I've stuck to that ever since.

It's quite similar to my steam experience really. 5 years ago I only bought the really good games worth paying for (and burnt my fingers on halo2, capitalism, crysis and other hyped junk). Then in 2009 I got steam, and now I own 753 games according to my community page. I practially aren't forced to pirate anything anymore - unless it's origin titles that I want to try out, but ea deserves to be pirated anyway imo.

And while I didn't do any official research, I've got a feeling that the industry as a whole has realized they need to change. That's probably why cloud tech is being pushed from all directions. It simplifies licensing and reduces amateur piracy (china will just pirate a whole cloud if they feel like it).

Anyway. Bottom line is - I used to be a pirate like anyone else. But then along came reliable and user friendly distribution models of legal goods, and I more or less stopped pirating. I didn't stop because someone tried to force me, or because I somehow changed my moral views. I did so because industries adapted to my needs.

ps. some will keep pirating simply because they can't afford otherwise. This is still thieft, but it's not a lost business opportunity. So nobody should be naive enough to ever expect piracy to go away complety.

Status
Not open for further replies.