Replacement Dell HD has no room for clone of original HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mwtwriteorwrong

Prominent
Jun 13, 2017
I'm sorry to be unable to find the answer myself although I bet it's here somewhere. :(

Long, frustrating story:

--The HD was going in my Dell Inspiron according to their tests and my experience of crashes and freezes; they sent me a replacement. Neither them or I could make image/clone with their software and the Dell would not recognize my 3TB and 5TB externals . IDrive sent me an external 1TB drive that was recognized and I made the clone and put it on that.

--I replaced the HD and the Dell then automatically uploaded all my original software--Windows 7! I did not want that! I had been on Windows 10. I went to install the cloned image. I could not because the W7 was taking all that room and it had made more partitions on the new HD. It was too small for the clone--although the clone was the size that had been on the original HD. Ack.

--I called Dell and asked how to wipe the new HD and not have Windows 7 put on it at all again so I could install the cloned image. (I have the extra service plan...) They said it was not possible with Windows 7 on a new HD. I asked if they could merge partitions or something so I could have the room I used to have. They said it was very hard and that I should have cloned with their backup. I reminded them that they tried and I tried and no go but somehow it worked with IDrive. They suggested I forget the clone and reinstall all my software, etc. I said no; it would take forever if I could even find all the disks and I use this for work and school.

--Four days plus later--and I mean many hours at a time with me following their prompts, etc.,--it still was not working due to the original issue: not enough room now with the Windows 7 and partitions. We'd done the PE environment, made a boot disk supposedly on a flash drive, and done cmd prompts but the problem was the same: the new partitions and W7 I guess left me with too little room on new HD.

--I called IDrive. They tried to help but it came down to the Dell partitions and Windows 7 not giving me enough room to mount the clone. They said to tell Dell to make one large drive or at least a little bigger partiton to get my cloned image from the same size drive on the new HD.

--I told Dell and they said we would try creator. I said I didn't have more time then as I had spent six days on it by then and was and am behind at school and work. I am frustrated and confused. The old HD froze a lot but I could use it and didn't have to deal with Windows 7 and I had my other programs.

Please, can someone tell me what I can do about this mess?

Thank you very, very much.

Solution
Hello... You can remove/wipe the Windows 7 yourself... all you need to do is remove/delete the existing partitions and the Drive space will be free again. Any Bootable DOS drive/disk tool should be able to do that simple task... after that just create a partition on it if the Clone software requires it. B /

The DELL service plan will only provide OEM backup/replacement software of the original installed software... any upgrades you did, they are not liable for... good thing you create a Win 10 Clone before B )

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... You can remove/wipe the Windows 7 yourself... all you need to do is remove/delete the existing partitions and the Drive space will be free again. Any Bootable DOS drive/disk tool should be able to do that simple task... after that just create a partition on it if the Clone software requires it. B /

The DELL service plan will only provide OEM backup/replacement software of the original installed software... any upgrades you did, they are not liable for... good thing you create a Win 10 Clone before B )

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.