Question Replacing a Shorted Clevo Motherboard w/Same Part Number, Start Up Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 25, 2022
Provided the BIOS is the same version, or not, can I expect it to fire up like it was before the burn? It shut down normally and would not restart. The power adapter would cut output way down when connected and reset after a disconnect from the board and the wall outlet. Had a tech try and chase the short and found too many issues to bother with it.

After he replaced this the short shifted and replacing a capacitor it shifted again and perhaps chasing it from the wrong end he recommended condemning the board.
I have a new board in route. Same p/n.

I'm dreaming of resetting the BIOS to defaults at startup and letting her come alive. I have built and upgraded desktops but never did a repair such as this by replacing the same part number and the start up. I have the drivers backed up. The OS and Storage SSD's are OK, I tested them via a portable device to my backup laptop and can read everything.

What can I expect?

zTechpc 15.6
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6 Video RAM on board
Clevo MH58DBQ
Motherboard 6-77-NH50DB00-D02-1B#10

motherboard_issue.jpg

Nov 25, 2022
One from a person seeming to have experience with said and displays at least an elementary school education and a degree of respect.

One example,

If you replace your motherboard... with what?

If you replace your motherboard, with a fish... then when you press the power button, nothing will happen.

If you replace the motherboard with the same exact model that the computer came with... then nothing DIFFERENT would happen upon that reboot. The computer would reboot as if you hadn't changed anything.

If you replace the motherboard with a different model, and you boot to the same hard drive with the same copy of Windows on it... it depends on how different the motherboard is. If the motherboard has the same chipset as the one you replaced, Windows should boot without an issue. If the motherboard has a different chipset, but still supports the same family of processor (meaning you had an AMD processor before, and you got a replacement board that allowed you to keep your AMD processor), then the OS should boot, but would detect new hardware and want to install it. If the replacement motherboard uses a different family of processor from the one you used to have, then chances are your installation of Windows would boot to a Blue Screen of Death, as the motherboard chipset drivers that were installed and in place in the copy of Windows you already have, would be incompatible with the new motherboard and the radically different chipset drivers required. You might not even be able to boot into Safe Mode.

So. It all depends on the details. There is no one single answer that fits this question. That answer would change radically depending on the specifics of your situation.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Please don't insult those trying to assist.

Even swapping in a new motherboard is not a guaranty of success. When the original damage occurred, you don't know what else, if anything, was damaged. Thus, the "maybe" outcome.

For sure, a motherboard swap is your best bet for a successful outcome. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.