Report: Apple is Working on an Actual HDTV

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Upgrade_1977[/nom]It's not that they aren't quality products..... Oh, wait, they aren't. My iphone 4 died after 1 year of normal use..[/citation]...and I have 2 iPod Touches (G4) purchased on the same day from the same shelf that have completely different color temps to their displays.
Maybe the warmer colored one was tinted with the blood from the wrists of a Foxconn worker.

Neverdyne

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
I think it's pretty obvious that Apple invented HDTVs, and everyone else should respect their patents. I don't get why people in here hate innovation.

-- Typed from my iPhone 4S!

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]For me Samsung Galaxy S II > iPhone, and Galaxy tab > iPad ... oh wait Apple already sues Samsung for that ... but the funny part about it is that if you take and open the fukin iphone/ipad you`ll find out that is actually Samsung who built some of it, after this they went to TSMC for their insides.[/citation]So, all I need is bad ass hardware and BAM, I have a sweet tablet? This same situation could be compared to two race cars. Liiiike, the 10' VW GTI vs. 10' Subaru STI - Subaru has a more powerful powerplant, AWD yet with the same driver, it's slower on the track. This is all too in depth. Sorry.

jsheridan

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Take a new sony LED flat screen TV on it, now permanently mount an iPad to the back - TADA![/citation]

sounds like you might have an inside scoop here, but you left out the iPhone remote. haha

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
0I think the idea of installing the brains of a multimedia device inside a nice TV is a bad idea because the TV may last you 6-8 years, but the computing device inside may be out of date in 2-3 years.
It's kind of like my 6 year old Acura with navigation. The car is still great, but the 6 year old computer in the dash is a joke.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]So what your saying is, they aren't suing anyone. Right?[/citation]
They went after HTC and Samsung, the 2 biggest in the phone and tablet Android arena and 2 who were shaping up to very much compete with them and they tried to ban both of them from shipping products. Apple doesn't like playing fair, competition to them is only good when they are behind, once they are leading competition is bad and should be destroyed, like Steve said he wanted to do to Android.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Sony already has integrated the PS3 interface in allot of their tv's, much better than the traditional horrible menu system. I could care less what Apple does, not that I care what Sony does either.

As long as it does not carry the Apple logo and force some TOS down your throat, then we are good.

azgard

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
Simplest user interface? For what? I bet most user's don't even venture into TV control's beyond the Everything Remote given to them by the cable/satellite company that turns it on and off. Wonder if it will be shiny and white.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Any show that would depict/show or talk about APPLES will be banned from showing on Apple HDTV. So shows like "Desperate Housewives" would be replaced by the classic Tarzan series... lots of bananas.

G

Well the first year they will release a 720p 60hz lcd, 2000$. 6 months later will be the 1080i 120hz, and maybe if were lucky throw in a hdmi port. for $2500. 3rd year they will buy patents for these tv's and sue the shit outta everyone.

Apple is a joke.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
HDTVs are just video monitors. Why does Apple think it needs to re-invent the wheel when it is obvious that it is just the software that will be different. Will the Apple TV display pixels in some new way, or display new colors we haven't seen before? No, it is because once you have apple hardware you are locked into getting all your content from them.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
I have a nice computer monitor for my iTunes content, and an HDMI cable to hook my PC up to my TV. So tell me: why anyone with a computer and a TV in the same room would even need this product? Oh right, it has an apple on it. Apples are cool... *facepalm*

G

Ok im not a big fan of Apple.I have a Macbook Pro that was actually given to me (running Win7)
Dont own a Iphone..hell I still use a Razr from 4years ago, but there are many other articles to view on Tom's. It seems to me that the "haters" are looking for Apple news wanting something to Bitch at. Apple is like Playboy or Hustler..if you dont like dont buy it.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]Oooooooh, I'll bet that TV is going to be reasonably priced![/sarcasm][/citation]

please don't use the / command. Apple users get confused.

kanaida

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Oh god, that's the last thing I need. Go to someones house only to get asked "Why isn't this crap syncing with my Itunes". Answer: You should have bought a real tv lol

I know this might sound strange, but for a TV. a high end TV, simple doesn't cut it unless you're grandma. We MEN buy big expensive TV's so we can play with craploads of settings to get things to look perfect or am I wrong?? It just won't do without resizing display size (like when you hook up vga), settings for Smooth Motion, Video Enhancements, 3d adjustems for dept and convergence, all kinds of audio settings, RGB values for calibration, Picture in Picture, all kinds of stuff. Even if we don't ever use them, we know we paid extra for them and expect them to be there when you suddenly become enlightened by some article explaining how you can get your picture to look even better.

G

I have a feeling they are going to slap $400 of ARM hardware with iOS on a $2000 TV and sell it for $4000.

qu3becker

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
No thanks, whatever will be the price of this thing, I prefer matte screens over Apple's Glossy Eye Candy screens. What would you do with iOS on a hdtv anyway?

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
if they make a computer like component to this tv, as in something like an ipod/pad, i needs to be a removeable device, kind of think like a nintendo cartrage, but computer.

it would get power, it would be able to interact with the tv, and the tv itself wont go obsolete within 3 years because of rapidly advancing tech. this is the reason why things like dvrs arent built in to the tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.