Report: Apple is Working on an Actual HDTV

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]No Apple only sues the ones that copy their designs[/citation]

Corrected.

[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]Oooooooh, I'll bet that TV is going to be reasonably priced![/sarcasm][/citation]

The volume of sales defines whether something is 'reasonably priced' or not. So it could well be, yes.

[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]They went after HTC and Samsung, the 2 biggest in the phone and tablet Android arena and 2 who were shaping up to very much compete with them and they tried to ban both of them from shipping products. Apple doesn't like playing fair, competition to them is only good when they are behind, once they are leading competition is bad and should be destroyed, like Steve said he wanted to do to Android.[/citation]

I wonder if you guys have ever stopped to think to yourselves 'Can company A sue company B for no reason and have an injunction granted?' The answer to anyone who has even some sense is no, yet you Android trolls continue to live in denial and believe that Apple was somehow wrong to not want other companies ripping its products off. The blame here, is with the companies they sued, eg Samsung - who left themselves vulnerable to lawsuits by blatantly ripping off the entire Apple product line - the legal cases illustrate that that's what they have done in the eyes of the law. Did you even see in the court case where the Apple lawyer asked the Samsung lawyer to differentiate between the iPad and the Galaxy? She couldn't tell which was which. They're now paying the price. The companies who showed some actual innovation in their designs have not been sued.

[citation][nom]nicodemus_mm[/nom]Awesome! That's just what I needed... a TV where the manufacturer pre-sets the brightness, contrast, volume, etc. It will be revolutionary for an Apple product if you get to choose the channel you watch or decide where in the room you place it. If something should not work on it? Well... you're watching it wrong.[/citation]

Yeah, cos changing the colour of the phone background is as important as setting the brightness, contrast or volume? Anything important, you've always been able to do on Apple devices.

[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]Samsung as well as all other HDTV makers should sue the hell out of Apple for HDTV that looks like a giant rectangle.[/citation]

Apple never sued Samsung for creating a tablet which was rectangular. Have you even read the patents? Probably not huh? Easier just to make up some story about Apple suing for something completely generic to continue to fuel your irrational hatred for a company.

[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]Actually i think there wouldn`t have been so many haters if Apple itself wouldn`t have been such an arogant company lead by such an arogant prick (his bio book made this clear about him). Yes they make quality products and change the looks of things but do you have to be so arrogant about it and sue the shit out of everybody who tries to come up with something similar ? Sorry but evolution needs way more than only 1 company to build things even though at a certain time they invented something. Imagine now all the TV companies sueing Apple for copying a box with a screen that can show TV stations ?[/citation]

I mean really? LOL. Now companies can be 'arrogant'? Do you even know what a company is? Humanising companies is such a childish and naive thing to do, all companies have a wide range of people with a wide range of personalities. The arrogance is all in your head, it doesn't exist in the company. And as I reiterated before, you can only successfully sue people when their products are in breach of copyright or patent law. Therefore, the error is on the side of the companies they sued, not Apple. Apple are entirely within their rights to protect their IP.

It has never been legally possible to patent something 'obvious' such as using a rectangular shape for a television, and none of the patents apple sued based on were anything like that. You're just completely misinformed, and that's the real shame.

mihaimm

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Tom's, don't you actually have anything to write about??!?!! There are so many rumor mill sites out there... could you please stick with the FACTS!!!!

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Steve Jobs' admittance to biographer Walter Isaacson that he had finally figured out how to build an integrated HDTV that wirelessly synchronized content with other Apple devices

LOL, anyone can do that. The technology has been around for years. Was Mr Jobs trying to claim that he invented the concept of devices synchronizing wirelessly? For one, I have been syncronizing my sd card with my desktop music and video collection for years, and I can do it wirelessly. Surely, the typical Apple moron will think this is brilliant. Sad commentary on stupidity.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Why does Apple think it needs to re-invent the wheel when it is obvious that it is just the software that will be different.

Because the New York Times will come out with an article claiming Mr Jobs invented the whole thing. Just like they claimed he invented the mp3 player.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Apple is like Playboy or Hustler..if you dont like dont buy it.

Dude, Apple is a megaprofits hungry parasite that with its unconditional support from the MSM threatens the march of technology with their locked-down standards. It has to be shot at at every turn. So don't complain. People who criticize Apple are doing a big service towards posterity and open technology.

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Simplest user interface for what? A TV? TVs have been around for more than half a century and when your grandmother can do more things on the TV than she can on any computer, you've pretty much hit the peak of "simplest user interface". Unless they were thinking about getting a 40" screen and building the Apple TV directly inside of it. Running iOS.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]nicodemus_mm[/nom]Awesome! That's just what I needed... a TV where the manufacturer pre-sets the brightness, contrast, volume, etc. [/citation]

Don't know where you got the idea of pre-set "brightness, contrast, volume, etc.," unless this is a naive troll tactic. If you have used OS X to any real extent then you know that besides the obvious, that it also has a pretty sweet color calibration tool built in. With the Audi MIDI Setup, the user can also set sample rates and bit-depths of their choice (something not easily done on Windows.)

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
An iTunes-like interface is something that will completely turn off any positivity I had about this. iTunes is the worst piece of software ever written.

Status
Not open for further replies.