Report: Apple May Purchase ARM Holdings

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]wintermint[/nom]Cash reserve of $41.7 billion? We need some corporate tax here cuz the economy going to shit and god dam! the mass is so uneducated![/citation]
That's it, "They have money, let's tax the hell out of what they earned because we (the government) messed up with our budget!". This is one of the main reasons so many of the jobs have gone overseas. So many businesses leave because they cannot sustain themselves with the numerous taxes applied out there.

On a positive case-in-point, the company I work for had a net profit of $4 billion last year. BRING ON THE CORPORATE TAX! No, what did they do? Hired roughly 75 new employees, built a new R&D center (think of employees plus paychecks going to the construction and production/textile companies and their workers), purchased a struggling smaller competitor (think of some of the jobs saved as well as the new IP's), and renovated one of the older labs (again, flow of money going to those that performed the work), and oh yeah; made their investors and shareholders happy. If a large jump in corporate tax was imposed, how much money would have been taken out of the public sector and public circulation, and how many jobs would have eventually been lost as a byproduct? I guarantee you they wouldn't have been as generous as they were. Just think if you were one of the unlucky unemployed for the past year and you were one of those new hires that might have not been possible? Taxes are needed to fund necessities, but it's the cash flow and the reinvestment of it within the private sector that keeps the economic train moving.

I say congratulations Apple an the cash you have earned, spend it wisely - and yes, your products are overpriced.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
[citation][nom]zerapio[/nom]Could you explain how Apple+ARM or MS+Intel are monopolies?[/citation]

One really doesn't have to, they together control more than 80% of the total market share and can easily keep any would be start up out of the loop or in VIA's case the fringe. Behind the scenes they all work together to maintain the racket. The competition of two or three isn't competition at all.

mosu

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Apple doesn't need ARM,it just a stock market stunt,but I think they would like a.. of course, a proprietary instruction set processor built with ARM expertise,maybe?!! in house.Tough, they still need something like Super AMOLED from Samsung.

blll_gates

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
"They crush competitors by out-designing them, out-marketing them and out-selling them, period," the Chronicle said.
....Really? Check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Apple.

If you really think Apple is "innovative," click on the "Fingerworks" tab and you'll find a familiar name, "iGesture Pad." I could swear I've heard that name from somewhere.

Anyways, Fingerworks was acquired by Apple in 2005. Then Apple came out with a revolutionary device in Jan. '07 called, the iPhone. With its multi-touch input method. My point is the above statement couldn't be farther from the truth.

G

Qualcomm produces ARM-based SoC. Qualcomm is a client of ARM, not a competitor.

beergoggles

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
Heh, sounds like some "analyst" had some ARM shares they wanted to get into play. Set the price, go viral with your rumor, then sell baby sell! ;-P

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Matt_b[/nom]That's it, "They have money, let's tax the hell out of what they earned because we (the government) messed up with our budget!". This is one of the main reasons so many of the jobs have gone overseas. So many businesses leave because they cannot sustain themselves with the numerous taxes applied out there.On a positive case-in-point, the company I work for had a net profit of $4 billion last year. BRING ON THE CORPORATE TAX! No, what did they do? Hired roughly 75 new employees, built a new R&D center (think of employees plus paychecks going to the construction and production/textile companies and their workers), purchased a struggling smaller competitor (think of some of the jobs saved as well as the new IP's), and renovated one of the older labs (again, flow of money going to those that performed the work), and oh yeah; made their investors and shareholders happy. If a large jump in corporate tax was imposed, how much money would have been taken out of the public sector and public circulation, and how many jobs would have eventually been lost as a byproduct? I guarantee you they wouldn't have been as generous as they were. Just think if you were one of the unlucky unemployed for the past year and you were one of those new hires that might have not been possible? Taxes are needed to fund necessities, but it's the cash flow and the reinvestment of it within the private sector that keeps the economic train moving. I say congratulations Apple an the cash you have earned, spend it wisely - and yes, your products are overpriced.[/citation]

... Yeah, but this is Apple. They're going to spend it creating more lawyer jobs anyway.

Jarmo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Apple Nazis ARM= Cekoslovakya (I can say this I am of Czech heritage)[/citation]

Czech heritage gives you the right to call others nazis? I want one of those!

reklatsa

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
A few years back the like of THW readership were writing Apple off as a niche nobody in the computing industry.

Since 1996 Apple has impacted the consumer computing/tech world in a way few foresaw. Now the vitriol and fear from sneering onlookers is palpable. It's so amusing.

Anti Apple PCers are becoming increasingly worse in the expression of their indignation than the worst of the Apple evangelists I encountered over the years.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]One really doesn't have to, they together control more than 80% of the total market share and can easily keep any would be start up out of the loop or in VIA's case the fringe. Behind the scenes they all work together to maintain the racket. The competition of two or three isn't competition at all.[/citation]
I think some of you are confusing anti-monopoly with anti-competitive laws. They're related but not the same. You can have anti-competitive behavior without monopoly which is what I think you're trying to describe. If that's the case then I agree with you.

suddenstop

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
Apple hardware is never cutting edge stuff - just off the shelf class hardware being turned into sometimes amazing sellers and market makers. Look at every mac, and now the iphone and ipad and you will not find any hot chart busting spec. That doesn't mean they don't innovate - far from it.

They are also insanely proprietary - everything must be slightly different and not reusable by anyone else. ARM on the other hand licenses designs to lots of people - makes it easier for companies to get ARM based chips and not be locked in. Totally different than the apple model.

Cannot see any way this is real.

stryk55

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Monopoly laws will not allow this to happen. This is like if Microsoft buys Intel.[/citation]

Makes no sense. The two companies have overlapping interests, but their products and complementary, not competing. Apple purchasing ARM would be no different than the AMD/ATI merger.

reklatsa

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
It's not their current business model, but whose to say that in several years time THW readers will not be bickering about the technical merits and choice they have between buying Apple, nVidia, Intel or AMD/ATi GPU based graphics cards?

GPGPU is in its infancy and Apple is out of the starting-block.

Apple is quietly building a portfolio of microprocessor experience and technologists. Jobs will die shortly and Apple will have to diversify or die with him.

Comments one makes today may bite back tomorrow.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
please God no!! its not so much the chips, but the instruction sets. everyone already has to pay intel royalties if they want to make an x86 cpu, you know, a cpu that people can actually use! (with windows ect...)

the fact is every mobile hardware and software maker out there uses ARM property. if Apple owned them...

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]stryk55[/nom]Makes no sense. The two companies have overlapping interests, but their products and complementary, not competing. Apple purchasing ARM would be no different than the AMD/ATI merger.[/citation]

if Apple buys arm, they can tell Microsoft, google, samsung ect to go find a whole new cpu architecture to use, while apple's COMPETITION spends 5 years doing that, apple will destroy them all.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Monopoly laws will not allow this to happen. This is like if Microsoft buys Intel.[/citation]

What? That isn't anti-competitive. I don't think you understand what a monopoly is. Intel buying AMD would get shot down in the courts. AMD buying Nvidia would get shot down in the courts. Those things decrease competition. How in the world would Apple buying ARM decrease competition? Even if Apple bought ARM and decided they were going to use the chips for themselves and no one else, that isn't monopolistic. You know why? Because there will still be plenty of competition in the market place. Intel, AMD, Via, Nvidia, etc will still be there. Unless Apple started swallowing up multiple companies this talk of being "monopolistic" is nothing but empty rhetoric from the usual Apple haters.

reklatsa

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
[citation][nom]1337_b0i[/nom]Looks like apple wants to invent the ARM chip.[/citation]

You seem ignorant to the fact that Apple founded ARM in 1990. I had a Newton years ago. Way ahead of its time.

thedreadfather

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Saw this on Engadget:
ARM CEO dampens talk of Apple acquisition, says 'nobody has to buy the company'
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/22/arm-ceo-dampens-talk-of-apple-acquisition-says-nobody-has-to-b/

Status
Not open for further replies.