Report: Apple Working on Verizon iPhone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Verizon has been working on this for a while, I'm honestly suprised this information wasn't "leaked" when this was all in the preliminary stages.

stryk55

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Abrahm[/nom]With a lineup of far superior Android phones, why would anyone in their right mind buy an iPhone?[/citation]

I see this alot, but have yet to encounter it in real life: people who say the Android is "far superior".

Could someone explain what makes these phones better than an iPhone? I would truly like to know since I see little difference in funcationality. In my personal experience, I have yet to encounter anyone who praises the quality of their Android phone with the same exuberance as those with an iPhone.

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
People seem to forget Apple went to Verizon first, before AT&T, Verizon told them no thanks (remember?)

isamuelson, it is not about time, it is waaaay past that

I think Apple is grabbing straws

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]stryk55[/nom]I see this alot, but have yet to encounter it in real life: people who say the Android is "far superior". Could someone explain what makes these phones better than an iPhone? I would truly like to know since I see little difference in funcationality. In my personal experience, I have yet to encounter anyone who praises the quality of their Android phone with the same exuberance as those with an iPhone.[/citation]
here's what one guy had to say, and I agree with him:
Multitask apps
- On the Droid I can be playing a game, receive a phone call, open up my calendar, then go to a text message, then open up a browser and go back to my game and everything is running at the same time. Nothing closes. Its a multitasking machine!
Full keyboard
- The keyboard on the droid is NOT the best but it is very nice to have it. It takes a bit to get used too but it has definetly come in handy when editing excel spreadsheets.
Notification light
- The droid has a little light that blinks when you get a new email, txt, etc. It is similar to the Blackberry light I have come to love. The iPhone does not and it is frustrating to have to turn it on just to see if anything new came up.
Only apps/shortcuts/bookmarks you want are displayed on your desktop
- On the iPhone... all of your apps are on the desktop. This gets to be a bit crazy when you have 5 pages of apps and shortcuts. On the Droid, there is a separate button for ALL apps and only the apps you want are on your desktop.
Widgets
- The droid has widgets which are interactive apps that update themselves. There are a few widgets i cannot live without.
4 buttons on bottom instead of 1
- The droid has 4 buttons at bottom instead of one.
Back button
Menu button
Home button
Search button

The iPhone just has one and that drives me crazy. Navigating websites and menus on the Droid is quicker than the iPhone.
Removable battery
- On my Blackberry i always had a few batteries on charge. I am a power user that travels alot and having a second battery on charge is key for me. That is not a big deal for most users. The iPhone always made me mad that if i have a low charge and need to leave to be out and about i am screwed. So the Droid allows me to swap batteries on the fly.
Verizon Verizon Verizon!
- For many people.... being on AT&T is not a big deal. If you live in Manhattan and dont leave the island much then you will not have problems. If you are traveling up and about, you will be dropping calls on AT&T and will have service holes where Verizon does not. I get to see this first hand and at this time Verizon is the best in my opinion. Whats the point of having a crazy phone if you cant use it 100% of the time.
Tether for internet
- This feature is extremely valuable as I can get free internet on my laptop using my Droid. At this time i am unaware if iPhone has this feature.
Google built in
- As much as the big brother Google scares me it is VERY convenient to have real Gmail, Google Calendar, and GTalk right on my phone.
Recap:
I am not saying that the iPhone is not an amazing piece of technology, however because of the multi tasking features and the network...

stryk55

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
@quantum mask: Thanks for the information! Its good to see more specific claims than just someone saying its better. :-D

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]quantum mask[/nom]here's what one guy had to say, [/citation]

Thats a good comparison to the current iPhones on the market, but this is talking about the next gen iPhone.. Every phone on the market SHOULD be better than the iPhone considering the iPhone has barely changed in the last 3 years since it was first released.. That being said, if the new gen iPhone is not worth while, I'll be getting a new HTC phone running Android 2.1..

Status
Not open for further replies.