Report: Game Developer Harassment On The Rise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazymangaka

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
This isn't the first time I've seen this sort of report, but not one article has had any specific examples of this "harassment", just vague references. An Xbox Live message from "Anonymoose101" with 'lol gunna killz you' doesn't really ring of a credible death threat to me.

maxiim

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
People leaving jobs because of online threats yet kids are held in prisons for months for making threats in video games. Not saying either is right but making an example out of one does nothing

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Seeing as people have now been jailed for this kind of cyberbullying I think the devs should forward this stuff to the cops, 30 or 40 people sent down to the big house with rapists, murderers and child molesters, with a news special on how many of them were subject to prison rape - yep, that just might curb the trolling a weeny bit

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
@back_by_demand

So your solution is intentionally locking people up with hardened criminals and hoping they get raped? Your a sick person. What's even sicker is that our prison system has been so decayed that we just go along with how vile they've become. At least we have the decency to put down dogs and not lock them in cages for what amounts to a lifetime of punishment.

capt_taco

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
So ... you work in the video game industry, and you're shocked by internet trolling? To the point where you quit your job? Are you new?

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
Yes, we need to put more people in jail and take up even more room and spend even more money to teach people a lesson. If you believe that cyberbullying deserves being raped then you are stupid. If you were just exaggerating to express how you feel, then you are doing the same thing as people flaming and trolling. How funny that you are doing the same type of thing, but justify it simply because you feel like its okay because its "just a joke".

capt_taco

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
@realibrad

I don't know what's scarier about that guy's post - the fact that it might be serious, or the fact that two people actually gave it a thumbs-up.

knightmike

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Reminds me of the time I rescued my favorite author from a car wreck. Both of his legs were broken so I brought him back to my house and nursed him back to health.

I stayed at his bedside reading his latest novel in my favorite series. I was disappointed to discover he ended the series by killing off the main character. You know what he had to say for himself when I demanded to know why he killed Misery? He said he was bored with the series. He wanted to write a new novel.

I read the manuscript to his new novel. It wasn't very good. So I made him burn it and get to work writing a new ending to the Misery series. One in which the main character returns and emerges victorious.

I was even nice enough to buy him a new typewriter. But did he thank me? No. All he could do was complain about the paper. So I had to drive all the way back to town just to buy paper because Paul's too good for standard 20 weight.

The paper salesman was very helpful. Dwight was his name. A handsome man of good stock. I think we made a connection. That reminds me, I need to set my plan in motion to have him over...

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Make people register in order to send email or it just gets dumped by company filters.

Require credit card and SSN, put holds on the CC with codes that must be entered to validate reg.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
As a reminder to people who forgot, Adam Orth was the POS that mocked Xbox fans who didn't agree with the Always Online DRM policy, saying things like "Sometimes the electricity goes out. I will not purchase a vacuum cleaner."

This was a person who badly needed to be fired, in my honest opinion, and the negative reaction to the way he disrespected and mocked Xbox fans, was predictable.

Meanwhile, Phil Fish was an asshole of legendary proportions. When a Japanese developer asked a panel, which Fish was a member, what do you think of Japanese games? His reply was "your games just suck". This is one of the biggest jerks ever, and then he gets all cry baby about people reacting to blatantly offensive things he says, like "PCs are for spreadsheets".

Lets not make victims out of trash, OK? If you have the entire internet pissed off at you, maybe its for good reason.

matter37

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
You should be able to get fined if you make threats such as that through the internet. A heavy one, too. It will keep assholes from being utter and complete assholes.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Developers should be encouraged and cheered on. Its the publishers who are making all the decisions that are making fans mad. Usually those who don't even care about games are making all the decisions. Also, if you are sending death threats to game developers, you need help. There is more to life then games and you need to get some fresh air and out of that basement.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Before you self righteous assholes gets on my post again saying I am as bad as the trolls, bear in mind I haven't threatened to kill anyone or their children,vbut did rightly point out that people already get jailed for that kind of abuse and pointing out that there is a danger of prison rape is slightly different than wishing it on someone - I am starting to wonder about your motivations now, do you feel threatened that people may take action because you like threatening to kill people on the internet and that would spoil your fun? Do you have some twisted notion of freedom of speech that thinks it extends to death threats? Sack up.

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
So, you have an account on Twitter, FB and your work email is public? The world is not friendly, don't have these things and leave yourself open. Hire a service or PA to screen your accounts. Better yet, stay off Twitter/FB, talk to your company's admin about changing your email address (don't pass it out) and live blissfully ignorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.