Report: Google CEO Larry Page Knew About Illegal Ads

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]All this boils down to is ethics. He knew the ads were illegal but he didn't care. Hence he has no ethics. The fine should've been $5B... $500M is chump chance to Google. The only way to stop these business practices from companies such as Google is to hit them where it hurts the most....their bottom line.[/citation]

EXACTLY....Interesting and tragic how most people here posting (from the US I'm sure missed this CORE aspect of the issue ENTIRELY!

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
does not surprise me bankers get out of jail free and get paid for it, mess with hillary/romney/obamacare and expect your arse to be grass and the fed the lawn mower.
u.s. drug makers own capital hill for the amount they bribe, lobby, and donate to american politicians.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Prescription drug system is so anti-consumer its ridiculous. I understand that the systems are in place so that there is still profit in creating new drugs that help people, but it sucks when you rely on said drug and it costs a fortune... and you also cant get insurance that doesnt cost a fortune because of your illness. I am a 150 pound 25 year old healthy white male, outside of the fact that I have type 1 diabetes. It costs me, just me, $550/month for health insurance (+$50-60 for prescriptions and an additional $15 for a checkup every 3 months). Even if I opt to not get health insurance, it still costs me $300 for the insulins, $50-100 for the test strips, and another $10-$20 for needles, and $75 for the doctor visit. Why does the insulin cost so much? Because it is PATENTED... until 2014 I believe.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]EXACTLY....Interesting and tragic how most people here posting (from the US I'm sure missed this CORE aspect of the issue ENTIRELY![/citation]

that google is being bent over due to the fda deciding that canada drugs are bad? that we should spend 10-20 times as much localy because they say so?

these werent chinese medicens said to cure cancer, aids, and while we are at it cure baldness, erectile dysfunction and make you secrete pheromones to attract the hottest of women

i don't believe bad laws should ever be obeyed.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i don't believe bad laws should ever be obeyed.[/citation]

I agree that the prohibition of legitimate medications coming in from Canada at a more affordable price is stupid and only benefits the criminal pharma industry.

But the law is still the law and Google is a big corporation and the bigger you are the harder they fall. Bottom line is Larry Page should be prosecuted because that is the law.

If they didn't agree they should have lobbied congress to change the law.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]I agree that the prohibition of legitimate medications coming in from Canada at a more affordable price is stupid and only benefits the criminal pharma industry. But the law is still the law and Google is a big corporation and the bigger you are the harder they fall. Bottom line is Larry Page should be prosecuted because that is the law.If they didn't agree they should have lobbied congress to change the law.[/citation]

do you fully understand how a law is made in the united states?
the law is made, the process before this doesn't matter.
you than go to court, and this is where the law dies or becomes a real law
untill a precedent is set, laws mean nothing.

but here is the beauty of law precedents
even in the future, they can be overturned. an example would be in a few years, we are bound to have the supreme court decide on obscenity (verbal) again the last one was 73-78, somewhere in that time frame.

the sad thing is that we have to obey laws that corporations put in place to help their bottom line, and in medicine, better than anywhere else, people die because of those bad laws.

if i remember right, government only has power because we give them power, and in this instance, they are using that power to screw us.

and in this case, Larry Page is no less than a hero to many, because god knows they weren't making so much from those ads to deflect a 500million fine.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
My country (Czech Republic) plans to introduce centralized bids on certain pharmaceuticals. Basically, companies would present their offers to provide one kind of chem for the entire country. The cheapest offer wins and others' alternative products may not be prescribed (only the winning one). This should save some pretty penny (taken from the pharm. companies' pockets).

Guess what... Some days following the announcement, a diplomat from U.S. embassy sends a request (on behalf of U.S. drug manufacturers?) to our Health Ministry begging them not to pass this law. They sure did not bend over to his request. :)

So, yes, the companies are so greedy!

RoboTree

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
Whether they broke the law or not, I doubt whoever gets that $500 million will do more good with it than google would have.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]RoboTree[/nom]Whether they broke the law or not, I doubt whoever gets that $500 million will do more good with it than google would have.[/citation]

they will most likely add it to their annual budget, but sadly they will add an extra zero

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Of course they knew. They probably use Google themselves, and probably would've seen it pop up on more than few occasions.

But I've given up on Google anyway; Do No Evil is the most ironic tagline around.

Status
Not open for further replies.