Report: Google Launching Pay-per-view Movies

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
"Google will reportedly use the two services to direct people to the new service, which is expected to launch first in the United States, before spreading to other countries."

I dunno, this sounds like some disease to me or something. Guess we better start looking for a vaccine.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Another competitor enters the on-line movie fray. If it drives down costs for consumers, increases quality, and expands selection then it is a good thing. Like Google or not, they are a force to be reckoned with.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]IzzyCraft[/nom]Google is undermining itself. After all google will be used to look up the free version.[/citation]

The thing is, you can't just google your favorite movie, click a link, and BAM! Start downloading a high quality rip that's compatible with your system's software. No no no, it's necessary to poke around a bit, make sure that the file isn't virus infected, make sure it's not some dude holding a cam in a theater, make sure it's not in the wrong language, or imprinted with jap subtitles, or corrupted, or in some obscure file format, and then after all that... lets cross our fingers and hope that someone's seeding.

I can snag a high quality version of a popular movie released this year, no prob. But, what if I want something a little less well known, or that's from a few months back?

Despite piracy, there's going to be a large market for online movie streaming... the question, really, is when the average user will have enough bandwidth to stream in HD (at which point, Netflix and Redbox better watch out).

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
i got netflix for $10/month. unless google offers up more than at least what netflix if offering, I don't see a point. more titles, more dvd's at a time, cheaper subscription fee, or something then I might consider their service.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
[citation][nom]ryanjm[/nom]Nothing they stream should cost more than $2 as someone already stated. For $1 I can get a dvd at a redbox. For $2, I expect high def.[/citation]

I dunno about where you live, but a redbox near me started renting blu-rays for $1.50.

And as we all know:

blu-ray >>>>>> any current streaming internet video technology

volt-aire

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
I think it's pretty great that there is a netflix ad on the side of this article (for me at least). Foolish Tom's, your automated ad service has you clinging to a sinking ship. We have a new master now. A beveled, white-and-primary-colored master.

Netflix only allows some movies on its streaming service, and you have to leave the house for redbox. A hypothetical Google ppv would let you watch new dvd releases without having to wait for the glacial process of outdated mail carriers or having to venture from your safe, comfortable abode. Like all the markets google intrudes into.. they provide a new service to a customer not currently catered to, get a share, and only then go head-to-head with the current players.

So I dunno, I don't think netflix has to worry. Yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.