Report: Microsoft to Take on Google TV, Apple TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
But will it blend?

I never imagined Microsoft getting into set top boxes and internet-enabled tv's.
I guess that makes my media centre obsolete? all i use it for is movies anyway..

el_bastardo74

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
hmmm, the more options i see for tv, the more i wonder about the fate of cable. maybe not so much satellite, because they have a market for people who are still stuck with dial-up....interesting

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
As so often in recent years, MS doesn't innovate, but instead sees another company doing something new and then says 'hey, we could do that too'.

The question I'm asking myself here is: why would you want to use Windows, no matter how stripped down, in a set-top box? If they can release a secure, light weight and easy to use Windows TV, I'll take my hat off. Till then, I'd bet on Linux based designs that have existed for years and are still being improved as we speak.

appolospb

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
@ Silmarunya

I dont think its fair to say Microsoft are copying anyone here. Microsoft have had Windows Media Centre in the marketplace driving media centre PC's since at least 2005 and been quite successful at it. Although WMC isnt strictly on-demand tv it is damm near the same as its used with peoples vast collections of tv / video media stored on the machine or over a network. WMC also has the ability to download TV guide and other application data over the internet. If you pair WMC with a opensource addon such as Media Browser then its vastly superior to anything Google or Apple are offering people and its available to anyone with Vista / Win 7. If anything Google and Apple are treading in Microsofts territory.

G

I think my BellAliant FibreOp set-top box already has some form of Windows on it :(

I get a flying-window/spinning-globe logo anytime I'm loading a menu.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]appolospb[/nom]@ SilmarunyaI dont think its fair to say Microsoft are copying anyone here. Microsoft have had Windows Media Centre in the marketplace driving media centre PC's since at least 2005 and been quite successful at it. Although WMC isnt strictly on-demand tv it is damm near the same as its used with peoples vast collections of tv / video media stored on the machine or over a network. WMC also has the ability to download TV guide and other application data over the internet. If you pair WMC with a opensource addon such as Media Browser then its vastly superior to anything Google or Apple are offering people and its available to anyone with Vista / Win 7. If anything Google and Apple are treading in Microsofts territory.[/citation]

First of all, similar media software existed on other platforms before WMC came around.

Second, as you noted yourself, WMC is not the sort of web based TV that Google and Apple are offering.

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
I think out of all the other providers, Microsoft is the one that can have the biggest impact in IPTV. Think about it, they have Windows, Xbox, and this new set-top box. All of which use Media Center, and all can be given this capability to use the service.

How many people out there have a PC w/Windows as an OS? how many Xbox360's are out there? and you've already got a bigger install base than any other IPTV service out there! If Microsoft is smart and is intending on making money off the sales of the actual content more so than the sale of the set-top device, then this route will work the best and beat the rest.

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]As so often in recent years, MS doesn't innovate, but instead sees another company doing something new and then says 'hey, we could do that too'.The question I'm asking myself here is: why would you want to use Windows, no matter how stripped down, in a set-top box? If they can release a secure, light weight and easy to use Windows TV, I'll take my hat off. Till then, I'd bet on Linux based designs that have existed for years and are still being improved as we speak.[/citation]

And then have to type code into the command line just to change a channel? no thanks, Linux sounds cool but I have tried it and it isn't any better.

jerrspud

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
I really like Media Center. The Win 7 version is great and there are plenty of on demand shows in it already. If MS can put Media Center in a box for the layman that does not know how to hook a PC up to a TV and really push for even more on demand content.. some people may like it.
But, I still to this day don't understand why someone wouldn't just hook a PC to the TV and not even worry about all this silly garbage that can't do as much at a true PC for about the same price?

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]AGPC[/nom]I think they are too late to have a impact.[/citation]

Sure, just like they were too late to the game console markets to have an impact there, right? btw, a word starting with a vowel is preceded by "an", not "a".

G

Sorry MS had TV way before Apple or Google. They also have set top boxes already in the ATT Uverse service (before Google and probably around the same time as the original Apple TV). It would not be a stretch to take the existing tech in the Uverse box, scale it down and make it more generic

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]btw, a word starting with a vowel is preceded by "an", not "a".[/citation]
In that instance yes, but it's grammar and thus variable based on what sounds right. In general that means it depends on the sound rather than the letter, unless you think it's a universal rule rather than one with an unfortunate number of gaps (it's easiest to do with "u"s but probably possible with other vowels and silent "h"s etc).

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I don't think WebTVs are a good idea in their current implementation. Who wants to pay 99 cents a half hour to watch a show? I know microsoft will probably offer their subscription which is a good idea. Also you have to remember that unless you have Cable or FiOS internet, you can't enjoy these TVs. These companies already offer more superior TV for about the same price without the settop.
I think the future of TV will utilize IP protocols, however, I think this will be done at the local level with many different companies. For instance the cable company will simply turn your settop into a cable modem, then stream the shows directly to you from their headend.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]As so often in recent years, MS doesn't innovate, but instead sees another company doing something new and then says 'hey, we could do that too'.The question I'm asking myself here is: why would you want to use Windows, no matter how stripped down, in a set-top box? If they can release a secure, light weight and easy to use Windows TV, I'll take my hat off. Till then, I'd bet on Linux based designs that have existed for years and are still being improved as we speak.[/citation]

What are you like 12 years old? Living under a rock? a troll? What's your excuse?

Web TV (first practical settop box ever made), IPTV (which AT&T uses for U-Verse), Media Center...7 years old and Google TV doesnt' even scratch. Oh and what's that other thing they have in the living room. It has netflix and soon to get hulu? what is it now..oh yeah the XBOX.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]swamprat[/nom]In that instance yes, but it's grammar and thus variable based on what sounds right. In general that means it depends on the sound rather than the letter, unless you think it's a universal rule rather than one with an unfortunate number of gaps (it's easiest to do with "u"s but probably possible with other vowels and silent "h"s etc).[/citation]

I don't know what the h311 you're talking about. It is a universal rule, period. And technically, ALL words starting with "h" are supposed to be preceded with "an", not "a" even though americans are lazy that way and generally break the rule. It is not based on what sounds right.

amoghthegamer

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010

Your obviously fucking retarded. Microsoft INVENTED the First Consumer OS. They invented Media Center and they have a little console called the Xbox. Microsoft is a dick sometimes but it is overall a great company.

Status
Not open for further replies.