Report: Microsoft to Take on Google TV, Apple TV

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sultansulan

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
What happened to last year's biggest flops. Wp KIN and WP7. They have sold so poorly that no manufacturer dares to jump on. For example, Samsung Galaxy Tab alone has sold as many units as WP7 and KIN at the same time. Please MS show figures for sale. To avoid it becoming so much misunderstanding and strange rumors. I think indeed that you have little to work on.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]amoghthegamer[/nom]Your obviously fucking retarded. Microsoft INVENTED the First Consumer OS. They invented Media Center and they have a little console called the Xbox. Microsoft is a dick sometimes but it is overall a great company.[/citation]

"U mad bro?" Pay attention before unleashing nerd-rage.

[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]As so often in recent years, MS doesn't innovate, but instead sees another company doing something new and then says 'hey, we could do that too'[/citation]

Clarified that for you eh? First OS or not, this is another non-innovated product line.. MS just wants their piece of the pie now.

[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]I don't know what the h311 you're talking about. It is a universal rule, period. And technically, ALL words starting with "h" are supposed to be preceded with "an", not "a" even though americans are lazy that way and generally break the rule. It is not based on what sounds right.[/citation]

And for you... Seriously, I don't know what your talking about. It, in all actuality, is not a universal rule. The rule of "an" before a vowel is based on phonetics. It don't sound right to use the word "a" before a word beginning with a vowel... However, that is, of course, all based on how someone actually "says" the word. Which, I must say, I was suprised you don't know that.. As you mentioned the "an" preceeding an "H" began word.. But since you don't.. here's the why for ya.. Quite alot of people have the tendency to "drop" the "h" when speaking (for example, like the word "historical" would instead sound like "istorical" however, when said with "an" preceeding it, it actually flows rather well.

So you see.. It's because people are lazy and don't say their "h" words properly that they are supposed to be said with an "an". Not the other way around I'm afraid. Sorry slick.

So please, stop the English Professor attitude. Because your wrong. Of course, 5 minutes of searching on google alone could have probably told you that.. ;P

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]scuba dave[/nom]"U mad bro?" Pay attention before unleashing nerd-rage.Clarified that for you eh? First OS or not, this is another non-innovated product line.. MS just wants their piece of the pie now.And for you... Seriously, I don't know what your talking about. It, in all actuality, is not a universal rule. The rule of "an" before a vowel is based on phonetics. It don't sound right to use the word "a" before a word beginning with a vowel... However, that is, of course, all based on how someone actually "says" the word. Which, I must say, I was suprised you don't know that.. As you mentioned the "an" preceeding an "H" began word.. But since you don't.. here's the why for ya.. Quite alot of people have the tendency to "drop" the "h" when speaking (for example, like the word "historical" would instead sound like "istorical" however, when said with "an" preceeding it, it actually flows rather well. So you see.. It's because people are lazy and don't say their "h" words properly that they are supposed to be said with an "an". Not the other way around I'm afraid. Sorry slick.So please, stop the English Professor attitude. Because your wrong. Of course, 5 minutes of searching on google alone could have probably told you that.. ;P[/citation]

Google? Get a clue bud. They've been dumbing down English in America for the dumbed down Americans(hooked on ebonics) for 40 years now AT A MINIMUM. Pretty soon the accepted spelling for "night', will be "nite", just as they dumbed down catsup to ketchup and blonde to blond and grey to gray. The problem with you is you've been bombarded with dumbed down English your whole life and you really don't have any idea what is proper and what isn't.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]Google? Get a clue bud. They've been dumbing down English in America for the dumbed down Americans(hooked on ebonics) for 40 years now AT A MINIMUM. Pretty soon the accepted spelling for "night', will be "nite", just as they dumbed down catsup to ketchup and blonde to blond and grey to gray. The problem with you is you've been bombarded with dumbed down English your whole life and you really don't have any idea what is proper and what isn't.[/citation]

Umm... It's not so much a "dumbing down".. Or at least, not as much as you seem to think it is. However you are right in the saying that it's been going on for 40 years at least. More accurately, for more that 200 years. You're talking about the differences between "british" english and "American" english. For example. Armour, colour, flavour, etc. Those were the original correct ways to spell those words, however, back in the infancy of the USA, when Noah Webster published his "form" of American English. Read up on it a little. I'm sure you would find some stuff of value that might just calm you down a bit. It's quite interesting, to me at least.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences

But I do concur with you on the "night vs nite" spelling of things. That's just plain retarded, and just simply laziness on the part of the user. But then again, personally speaking, the words "u", "r", and "ur" vice "you", "are", and "you're/your" irritates the crap out of me. Heck, I've even seen it used in college essays and once in a resume. Talk about unacceptable.

But seriously, do not assume that the english used by those around me, in any way shape or form, constitutes a valid reason for me to somehow "not" know proper english when it is presented before me. While I do not attempt to "claim" that I know all the rules, words, terms, and proper sentence structure of the entire english language.. I do know english far better than 95% of the people around me.(totally made up number, but it does "feel" about right. I am hardly ever corrected, while I correct those around me ALL the time. I'm mostly only corrected on spelling more unusual/rare words that don't come up very often.) Then again.. perhaps that's one reason why I took the ACT(the SAT's smaller, less used sibiling) in the 7th grade.. And scored high enough(24 composite) to get in to a major college. So please... Pretty please.. Don't talk down to me. I do appear, it seems, to know far more than you give me credit. Just like you seem to know more than average yourself.. Although I think some of your foundation is a little.. off.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]gogogadgetliver[/nom]You two look like a couple red faced retards beating the spittle out of each other with vegetables while stuttering out "poopy" cursewords.[/citation]

And you look like the greasy, shirtless redneck cheering for his favorite driver at a nascar rally...

What's your point? Useless statements of irritation?

You nailed it. Spot on, brother man, spot on.

mike87d

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
I'm curious how saturated the market will get before Google TV wins out. I say that because I, as an owner of the Logitech Revue w/ Google TV, have yet to see any competing product that I would even dream of using. When I first was exposed to the Revue & Google TV back in September as an employee of DISH Network, I immediately knew that this was something I wanted in on. The way Google TV combines the entire web and all of my DISH DVR & programming into one seamless interface has completely changed and enhanced the way I watch TV. This type of convergence definitely is the future and, I assure you, Google TV will win.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Doubt it. Google isn't doing anything that others either aren't doing now. I'm glad you are enjoying the new experience but others have had it for a long time now. (2 years for here for the converged experience, 4-5 for a fractured experience of the same content)

Google is making enemies of the content owners and until they reverse that trend there is 0 chance they'll win the war. Microsoft = "Hey making a new product here, can we play your stuff?" Google = "I made a product and stole your stuff. Why was that wrong?"

Status
Not open for further replies.