Report: Teen Internet Addicts Likely to Self-Harm

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomizer

Distinguished
I heard some kid didn't leave his house for 3 years and had hair over a metre long, while others wear diapers so they don't need to "waste time" going to the toilet. Some people are are so FUBAR. I guess every culture has their own unique addiction problems. I'm sure the Chinese would be shocked if they saw what many Westerners are willing to risk just to send a text message or tweet on their phone.

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
lol .... just being here and reading this article, will automatically make us all fit that description .... so what else is new ?.......

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
My question is:

Is there a cultural bias? I'm aware that some Chinese "internet addicts" have died in "rehabilitation camps." It not unusual that some treat mental failings with physical pain?

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
[citation][nom]sinsear[/nom]China needs to recall their law made a month ago that banned the beating of internet addicts...[/citation]
This is like stating that we should legalize prostitution in order to stop masturbation.

Not only is it stupid, it's also wrong.

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
Some people I swear. Imstil laddicted to the internet and Ill be turnin 21 soon...Addicted since 16.

Even though Im still addicted I still have a social life,I skateboard and ride bikes.Take trips down Psychedelic road once in a while with my buds...Nothing out of the normal.Just spend most....all pretty much of my time when at home.

Majority is spent on PC games though.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
There is a lot of interesting things happening online but I don't see how you can become addicted? Are we talking about facebook or COD or neurotically reading wikipedia?

If you call on your kid for dinner and becomes depressed are you sure you aren't the problem? or more seriously, maybe school or job sucks?

littlec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Wow burned themselves? Pulled out hair? Shit when my internet went out all I did was get high, crazy azns..

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Well, I;m addicted, so?
Is my addiction harmful? Sometimes, yes. Most times, it can be neneficial.
I'm also addicted to food.

I find them both needed in my modern life. I admit I have an addiciton, but I refuse to admit it's going to ruin my life...

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Think there's a lot of "noise" in statistics like that.

Last year I cut a wrist by accident while fixing a LCD display. Sure if I didn't care about internet and computers that wouldn't happen, but that's my job!

Also my hair is long. Not for laziness but because I like it.

Concerning diapers... Several disabled people wear them so I guess it's more like real problem than addiction.

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
This is just pitiful...i think it's just disgusting how our civilization has developed so now things that thing that were never problems in the past have become problems.

technuttso

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
I stay online on the for watching the science documentaries that i like,to troubleshoot some PC problems ,when they came out,and to find info when i need.I lost my job some days ago,and till i find something else i spend some extra hour online.I don't do "social networking" or likewise. I found allot of uses for Internet and i do profit from these uses when is possible. I am addicted?

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
this just in! :
Report: Drug Addicts Teen Likely to Self-Harm
Report: Depressed Teen Likely to Self-Harm
Report: Emo Teen Likely to Self-Harm
Report: Mentally unstable Teen Likely to Self-Harm

why do they always blame the 'mysterious' magic internet, computers, and games.
Any teen has jus as likely of a chance of getting the age old "the world doesn't understand me!" phase as any other.
Its been going on for ages.
just now officials can use the internet as a resource to gather info, and computers to do the research, saying those things in themselves are harmful for teens.

Next thing we will see
"Teen goes on 10 man killing spree after strolling near a best buy, computer must be linked to the kills somehow!"

Status
Not open for further replies.