Report: Verizon Has Blocked 4Chan

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buddhav1

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
anyone that frequents 4Chan can understand why the so-called "normal people" insult its users and content. but not every single person on 4chan is on /b/, posting pictures that are indeed terrible. I go to 4chan for /wg/, the wallpaper/general thread. i've gotten hundreds of top-quality walls there for free. all in all, it's not a bad community until you stray to /b/.

but at any rate. 4Chan is only as strong as people make it. if left alone, without an enemy, 4chan will stew and grow boring. by openly blocking it, all Verizon has done is opened up a can of worms, and given the /b/tards something to target. and lord knows they have much more free time than most people.

then again, i'm not on Verizon in any way, so i guess this doesn't really matter to me, but i'm not a fan of ISPs blocking websites, when customers are paying for unrestricted access.

flea420

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Agreed, its great for some things, not so much for others. I went their on my droid when bored at work sometimes, now I can't. Not what I call unrestricted/unlimited net access

briandr

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
[citation][nom]trooth[/nom]4chan is a site for degenerates, society is not losing out here.[/citation]

well you sir are a festizio, see i can make up words too.

....... in all seriousness though while i dont visit 4chan, verizon doesnt need to block any site. i would be curious to read the portion of the contract that relates to that

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]wayneepalmer[/nom]Censorship occurs ONLY when it is done by the government. Too many people fail to understand that the Constitution and specifically the Bill of Rights applies to limiting the powers of government over the citizens and their property. You rights here only extend as far as your contract and deciding not to do business with Verizon.Verizon is a private business. They can ban or promote whatever they want so long as they don't violate our laws (which is in itself has become a lot of an overreach by the government). No one has a right to force them to do business with anyone they find offensive and you have every right to dump them when your contract expires if you find their conduct offensive.[/citation]
You are correct in what you say and I would agree with you. Verizon can do what they want as they provide that service. What I don't agree on is the fact of the matter is why this site when there are plenty of other more deserving sites to block? I cannot comprehend the logic or rational thinking of Verizon behind this.

Besides...its Monday...and can't we all just unwind a bit before we actually work? So much negativity and hate thumb downs today.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a communist;
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew;
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak out for me.

History is only doomed to repeat it self when no one remembers and learns from history.

greatsaltedone

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
[citation][nom]r3t4rd[/nom]Wow...and Verizon opts to not block the real "melishious" websites? *shakes head* My personal opinion:I'd agree with Verizon only if these conditions are found to be true of 4Chan. 1) 90% of members are for or members of PETA2) They all use Apple products3) They all think Steve Jobs is the Messiah5) They are all facists tree huggin liberal 6) They want me to pay for thier Health Care.[/citation]

This is an international website about computing. Keep your local politics to yourself troll.

G

I mean who really cares seriously kudos to verizon 4chan users are a bunch of weirdos with a useless website.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Meh, who cares...

@gmcboot - It's funny you jumped on the political argument with a "retard"...you apparently are at the same level as him...congrats liberal.

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]Meh, who cares...@gmcboot - It's funny you jumped on the political argument with a "retard"...you apparently are at the same level as him...congrats liberal.[/citation]

you was doing good up until the "congrats liberal" then you jumped on the bandwagon with both of them..

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I agree with what has basically been said here, stay away from /b/ and you'll be fine. Nothing is sacred on /b/ and you're bound to be offended no matter who you are. Some of the other portions like the landscapes one (I forget which it is), HD photos and whatnot actually can be very, very cool. /b/ on the other hand, has a community more akin to the matchmaking FPS communities (L4D2 and MW2), i.e. lots of people who's only goal is to offend or grief you.

anonymous x

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
[citation][nom]theholylancer[/nom]First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a communist;Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a trade unionist;Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew;Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak out for me.History is only doomed to repeat it self when no one remembers and learns from history.[/citation]

Thank you for trying to equate a private company's service, of which you agreed to a contract that you can back out of (for a fee), with a totalitarian government.
Godwin's law at its best.

necronic

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]wayneepalmer[/nom]Censorship occurs ONLY when it is done by the government. Too many people fail to understand that the Constitution and specifically the Bill of Rights applies to limiting the powers of government over the citizens and their property. You rights here only extend as far as your contract and deciding not to do business with Verizon.Verizon is a private business. They can ban or promote whatever they want so long as they don't violate our laws (which is in itself has become a lot of an overreach by the government). No one has a right to force them to do business with anyone they find offensive and you have every right to dump them when your contract expires if you find their conduct offensive.[/citation]

I generally would agree with your comment with other businesses. Like, I think smoking bans in restaurants/bars are inherently wrong for this exact reason. However, with ISPs things get a lot trickier because they are in the grey area between monopoly and not.

Say for instance in Houston, I have comcast. I don't like comcast, but they are the only provider for cable internet. Some people would see the product as internet access, but to me DSL is not an equivalent product to cable. Anywho, I don't like comcast, but I really have little choice but to use them.

Now, for Verizon this may be different, but if comcast were to do this I would not have a real choice to switch products. And THAT is the problem.

The amount of damage one ISP could do to a website with a move like this, and seemingly without legal justification (maybe there was) is exactly why we have anti monopoly laws, so a company cannot control an entire and major downstream market through its actions alone.

caustin582

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Verizon didn't block 4chan from its regular internet service, they just blocked it from Verizon Wireless, meaning you can't access it from mobile devices (ie, cell phones). I'm not saying Verizon is in the right, but there's a huge difference here.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]Mulder19[/nom]As a libertarian I cry, as a 4Chan hater par excellence, I rejoice. Oh, the agony of my existence.[/citation]It's a private company (Verizon Wireless), not the government. What does that have to do with being a libertarian?[citation][nom]necronic[/nom]However, with ISPs things get a lot trickier because they are in the grey area between monopoly and not.[/citation]You need to read past the headline. Verizon Wireless. They don't have any competition? Anyway, we need to know more about WHY they blocked 4chan before we can draw conclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.