Report: Verizon iPhone will Have New Antenna

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

christopherknapp

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Um...... Not sure what Verizon needs a iPhone for. They already have plenty of Android based phones that are sky rocketing in popularity.[/citation]

Because the iPhone is a better device?

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
So they're fixing some of the things that are wrong with the iPhone 4

-Faulty antenna
-Slow, underclocked CPU
-Small display

It's catching up to the latest Android devices in many areas, though Android still leads in terms of customization ability and flexibility as well as the sheer number of options available - any screen size from 2.x inches to 5", physical or virtual keyboards, many different designs and brands etc.

1st gen iPad owners really got screwed.. they only got 256MB RAM, a low resolution display and now if these rumors are true, the iPhone will even have a faster CPU despite the smaller size.

G

"Because the iPhone is a better device?"
hahaha... the iPhone is more popular to non-techs and form-over-function-types who buy it as a fashion statement, status symbol, bling factor. Easy to use? everybody agrees on that. Technically superior? only fanbois/grlz wishful thinking.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
With so important specs that differ, how is this even an iphone 4? Sounds like a tablet of some sort.
And I would take an Android open tablet any day over a closed iOs system.

kdw75

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Boy if this is true Verizon will really look like idiots after bad mouthing the iPhone. Reminds me of how the company that made Bobcat's always talked up wheels over tracks....then offered tracks on their machines and say how much superior they are for better traction and stability. The sad part is that people will ignore the hypocrisy and buy from them anyway.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
the advantage of GSM is that you can swap SIM cards at will if you have an unlocked phone. I always do that instead of getting expensive roaming or expensive international usage added to my line.
CDMA... not so easy. Even with an unlocked phone, you still have to go to a carrier and ask them to register your phone on their network... not feasible.
That's why most of the world has GSM. They travel or have multiple carriers in their countries, and one could easily swap their SIM with a prepaid one on the spot if needed and more cost-efficient.
But again, in most of the world, you can actually own the phone, instead of just getting a loaner from the phone company, like in US. Of course, it costs more upfront, but an unlocked phone is really yours. Here in US, even to get your phone unlocked from a phone company is a pain in the elbow. I mean, has anyone tried to go into an ATT store and ask for an unlocked iPhone ( or any other phone, for that matter)? Go ahead and see what happens.

Anaxamenes

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Anyone find it strange in this article that it seems like Verizon is dictating terms to Apple? I find that hard to believe personally.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
The iPhone on Verizon would sell a million units on day one. There's no way they could produce enough of them. If they released the iPhone on Sprint, Verizon, and t-mobile it would re-take the most popular smartphone OS in under one month. Guaranteed. There are tens of millions of potential sales just waiting on rival carriers.

photoguru

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I hate GSM phones... always buzzing audio systems and interfering with wireless stuff. Every time I see someone with an iPhone in the studio I want to kick them in the nut Z Z ZZZzzzzzzzzz (turn of your freaking phone).

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]http://www.mobileisgood.com/servic [...] ology_id=2 seems there are CDMA providers in most of the world to me.[/citation]

CDMA is used for two reasons: 1) The carrier wants to take advantage of US travellers by selling $1/min roaming service; and 2) the carrier wants to take advantage of cheap handsets and tower hardware designed for the US market. Look at the list, it's made up of the top tourist destinations and the top third-world destinations. Sounds prestigious, that's right where Apple wants to be!

Status
Not open for further replies.