Report: Verizon Killing Unlimited Data Next Week

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sofakingwetatdid

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
My family plan contract is up soon, was planning on getting smart phones for me and the wife. I still will, im just gonna do it on a carrier that lets me lock up an unlimited data plan. The whole point of mobile web (for me) is to watch video/ listen to streaming music while traveling. 2gb or whatever they ration will be burned so fast.... I better lock up a sprint contract quick... dont wanna have to rely on t-mobiles crappy phones...

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
well if sprint follow suit i'll go from planning on upgrading my palm Q1 next year, to buying a voice only phone. I use about 4 gigs a month, and have hit over 5 on some occations, usually due to pandora or tethering to my laptop for wow , if they don't have it in place by then i'll upgrade while they have to honor my 2 year contract extention, otherwise i'll drop to voice/text only... but i hope they stick to unlimited data it is convenient

jimslaid2

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
I am the only one who likes this. Give me some gigs for 10 dollars a month. Then I will buy a smart phone. Almost everywhere I go has WiFi.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Look man I'm just itching for an excuse to drop Verizon. Go ahead make my day.

I heard you're not going to be a WP7 launch partner after that crap you pulled with Kin too.

crashtest

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]johnnylawman01[/nom]Don't like .... don't get it.People, resources are ALWAYS limited. You want unlimited....you pay for it. Stop expecting others to subsidize your behavior.[/citation]

Actually they are removing the ability to pay for it. I want a nice consistent phone bill, no surprises. The phone companies will not offer an unlimited tier because they want to spring a big "gotcha" bill on me. If unlimited is really such a burden on their network they should still have it and price it accordingly, the fact that they don't says it all.

a-a-a

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
That's the way Verizon! Follow the worst phone carrier in the country! Woohoo! Don't be a leader in the industry just follow the heard. Great business sense!

It looks like I'm going to be looking at Sprint. I have been a faithful user of Verizon for years now, but this is probably going to change that.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]McSween[/nom]I guess the only solution is to use the phone only as a phone. They wouldn't be increasing the $/kb usage if it wasn't making them more money; their goal isn't to make less money.The consumers' only recourse is to not support them. If no one purchases their data plan, I'm sure the price will reduce. Remember, you only pay for what you want![/citation]

I agree with your sentiments.

However, if they are going to advertise data-intensive features on their phones (download apps, stream music, watch videos), then they are saying the phone isn't used just as a phone.

Also, Verizon has implemented a dirty trick. First they argue that smart phones have high data use, thus all smart phones must be purchased with a data plan. Now that they force smart phone users to buy the plan, they cap it. Thus smart phone consumers CANNOT opt out of the data plan although they want to.

a-a-a

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
What a way to follow the heard!

Lets make our business decisions based on what AT&T is doing. Instead of being an industry leader lets do what they do.

Sounds like someone upper management peeps at Verizon need to be replaced. The idea to any business is to set yourself apart and be a leader not a follower.

I just don't see that with Verizon. I've lost faith. Maybe Sprint is the way to go now.....

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Use more, pay more. What's hard to understand about that? Of course, that's assuming I'm not FORCED to use more. If I'm paying for my data, do NOT send me advertisements (or make sure they don't count against my usage). No pop-ups, no 15-second intros before the "real" video begins, NOTHING other than the content I choose.
Overage charges are a legitimate concern, but remember that if your usage does not exceed your plan's cap, then for all practical intents and purposes, you have an unlimited plan. Before going ballistic, why not wait and see what the tiers and pricing levels are?

pale paladin

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
I'm sorry but I must say this about Verizon. They are all ass clowns and I hate the fact that bandwidth as limited as it is with 3g and 4g is now being tiered and overpriced. I will say this about all telecom ... They all suck... Comcast ATT, Qwest, Verizon, Sprint T-mobile they all suck. I have never known a single person who has a great relationship with any carrier. They all blow donkey. THAT IS ALL

h2o_skiman

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
I think that part of the reason for capping the data plans is that many smart phones, like the droid, have Skype or other VOIP applications built in. Using Skype, why does someone need to pay for a voice plan?

Since we have made it impossible for ISPs to charge for the type of packets, that is, they cannot charge more for VOIP packets than streaming media, they will lose money on voice plan minutes if customers start using Skype or other VOIP service on their smart phones.

However, getting rid of unlimited data plans hurts thoses who decide not to use VOIP services and pay for unlimited minutes.

Companies like AT&T and possibly Verizon and others should offer a pricing structure that would allow unlimited data with unlimited minutes. So a customer can max out with unlimited voice, text and data for bundle price of $119.98 ($89.99 + $29.99). If you have a plan with less minutes, less text, the unlimited data would cost more. For a 450 minute plan without text (currently $39.99) an unlimited data plan might have a price tag of $69.99 for a total price of $109.98.

This would allow unlimited data plans to stay available and allow the phone companies to not lose money if everyone starts dropping minutes by using VOIP services.

Hockeyguyinoc

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
They are just pissed that more people won't buy their stupid overpriced wireless cards for their laptops instead we just use our droids and use the $20 unlimited plan. Greed, they can afford it our plans are making them a fortune now even if they went unlimited everything for $79.99 a month they would still make fat profit. Our bandwidth to the internet in this country is crappy for a reason...profit. Consumers are getting screwed.

failboat

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
This may bring out plans that are less then 30 a month. I would upgrade to a Droid X; if, I could get a plan for 15, that has a reasonable amount of data.

spankle

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I'm still rocking a normal phone from 5 years ago, so I don't use data, but I would consider enough data to get e-mail on a dumb phone at $10 a month, and no more. I have been holding out for Hulu on a phone, but I guess that just isn't meant to be. I also decided to wait for LTE, but I guess that doesn't really get me anything now, LTE looks to be worse off than what they give us now.

If VZ implements this, I absolutely would go get a dumbphone on Sprint though. You have to vote with your dollars, folks.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
While I know these are greedy corporations who only care about profits and not quality of service or customer satisfaction.
It seems to me however that in this case being the greedy one
will actually make a loss and not a profit.

Let's say Verizon joins AT&T and drops the unlimited plan.
This can cause the other companies to keep their unlimited plans
and heavily advertise such and they can advertise the fact that AT&T ans Verizon lack such plans. Not only will this make them more appealing to those who have contracts are going to expire with the other two companies. I am sure the unlimited data plans cost much less than losing a large amount of he customer base.

gallidorn

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
If Verizon is going to Play Copycat... Why don't they mimic Virgin Mobile's pay plan of $25 unlimited everything!!!

Instead of Verizon looking to be the most profitable, why don't they try for popular. If they were most popular they would get more customers and could still be most profitable at the same time.

I'd like to know how a large company like Verizon could be so out of touch with basic principles of business. If you don't keep your customer happy... They won't be your customer!!!

miicah

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Thank yourself lucky you even had unlimted data to begin with, while over here in Australia the average mb per month for phone plans is around 150/200.

miicah

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Thank yourself lucky you even had unlimted data to begin with, while over here in Australia the average mb per month for phone plans is around 150/200.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
@MDillenbeck Yep. Hell Intels Atom for phones is said to be able to stream 720P HD video and have full native h.264 support along with a slew of features built for the web.

Hell I have a grandfathered plan and my fiance is up for a new phone but its trying to get me to change my plan which I pay $131 for with unlimited data and the new one would be $170 with unlimited data for both phones.

Have to go to a store since we aren't going to get a smart phone until it can be priced near what I pay now for the same thing.

Oh well. I hope they change their mind. I love my VZW. But I can't justify the price to change plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.