Report: YouTube to Stream Movie Rentals

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Netflix has it right. Flat fee for unlimited viewing of their online library. Skip the DVR box from your provider and build your own. They will even give you a cable card to decrypt QAM.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Look beyond the technology. Can you say that most of the stuff coming from Hollywood is actually worth watching? I wouldn't pay to watch stuff on You Tube, it's not really what I use the site for.

idiom

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
If YouTube offered unlimited, commercial free movies for $3.99 a month, they'd make Billions. If they charge $3.99 per movie, they'd need to invest the same infrastructure, and only a fraction of customers would show up to that offering. If YouTube is serious about the paid content market, they'll offer an cheap, unlimited subscription, because that's what people want.

G

you can't be tracked or sued on private torrents, might be why i'll never rent again, just download than own it if i like it enough.

feenyxfire

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
3.99 for a one-time viewing is outrageous: I rarely rent movies for the same reason. When I can buy DVDs at Target/Walmart/whatever for less than ten bucks and watch them as often as I want, four bucks for a one-time thing is silly.

Besides, how long do you think you'll need to buffer if you want full DVD quality, which streams 10 Mbs compressed? And if it's not even full DVD quality, why on earth would I pay four dollars?

And don't even get me started on blu-ray. The price of those movies as dropped dramatically, as I can get lots of movies for fifteen bucks if I can catch it on sale. Hmmm: if I want to watch a youtube movie four times EVER, I'll pay more than buying it on blu-ray. If I only want to watch it once, I can still get it from redbox for a dollar. And I'll likely still get home before youtube finishes buffering.

gamerjames

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
[citation][nom]ainarssems[/nom]Here is the crazy idea: why don't Yo4u connect Your PC to TV.[/citation]

YouTube videos don't stream well enough for me to deal with the hassle of buffering, No thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.