Require a Productivity Laptop

Ibn Saeed

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
1) What is your budget?
$550 to $600 Max

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
between 12" to 13.3"

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
From online sites which accept international credit cards
such as Amazon, Ebay

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
Any brand will do. though lenovo's thinkpad line is nice.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
Yes, i would certainly consider a Redistributed one over a refurbished one.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Mainly for Productivity Tasks, such as Light Audio Editing, Light Youtube Video Editing max resolution to 1080p, Dual Booting Linux, Documents , Web Development, Watching youtube videos and listening to audio.
I do not play games at all and do not plan on playing.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
Mainly leaving on the desk or on the lap. I would be taking it outside of the home.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
No!

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
9+ Hours

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
Prefer buying it online.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
Primarily Linux followed by Windows 8.1.
Havent tried Mac OS, so i cannot comment on it.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
I prefer having high sRGB precentage. Full HD 1080p would be preferable.
So, Maximum Resolutions: WSXGA+, WUXGA, FHD, 1080p

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
Do not have any preference.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
No, not at all.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
As soon as possible within a month.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
5+ years.
I would prefer a strong build laptop such as business class but lightweight.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
256 GB SSD is enough.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
No.

19). I require a lightweight laptop which i can also use in my lap without it getting hot.

I am fairly familiar with computers, especially designing and programming.

Solution
As I already told, at this price range and screen size, you won't 256GB SSD nor Full HD. You'll have to either raise your budget or screen size. Raising screen size would be better since there are laptops at this price range will full HD and possibly a SSD. You can always buy a SSD and swap it if you want.

xDeuiii

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
First of all, where did you get those questions? It's much more detailed than the sticky posted on the forum. Anyways, at this screen size range, you'll be stuck with very low storage. 256GB SSD is next to impossible to find and full hd screen, forget about it. If you can push to 15" screen size, you have much more options.

xDeuiii

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
Refurbished has its pros and cons so be sure to check that out before. About the Lenovo, it's a good option but the audio is somewhat unpleasant for music. Overall, it's a very good option and since you're getting it refurbished, you're good to go except for the audio.

Ibn Saeed

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007

Audio is not an issue as i wont be using the internal speakers, rather i would be using external speakers.

Is ebay a reliable place to get refurbished laptops ?

xDeuiii

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
Yep, reliable site but I would recommend check locally first. Since it's refurbished, you have no idea in what the state the laptop is. Checking locally will allow you to thoroughly check the current state of the laptop.

xDeuiii

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
As I already told, at this price range and screen size, you won't 256GB SSD nor Full HD. You'll have to either raise your budget or screen size. Raising screen size would be better since there are laptops at this price range will full HD and possibly a SSD. You can always buy a SSD and swap it if you want.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS