Research Could Fuel Cars with Urine

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davekozy

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
How is the fresh water going to run out if it keeps raining and snowing? The rivers and lakes here in PA look full to me. The great lakes have quite a bit of water too.

There might be problems in the southwest and other desert regions. Once it gets bad enough people will start leaving until the population becomes sustainable again. 350 sunny days a year are nice but drinking water is nicer.

cablechewer

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Well people used to use week old urine to do laundry. Up until soap was invented it was actually a commodity that had value. The Fuller would pay for quantities of urine, let it age and then pour it on clothes in a big vat. Barefoot slaves would walk around the vat mixing it all together. The chemicals in the stale urine would help clean the cloth and then it would just require rinsing (a lot of rinsing I hope...).

Perhaps we have found another use for it... Maybe it will even be taxed again...

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Just don't call it urine pumps etc and you may have something. It just made working with cars make you feel even dirtier then usual.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
The idea isn't so bad really. Cows provide milk, which sells for so little the neanderthaler living on the farm can barely make his rounds. If he could sell teh cows' urine to someone that makes energy from it, perhaps they'll get positive figures again?

justjc

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
I recall that old diesels could get extra mileage, from pissing in the tank when one ran dry, however that was more likely because otherwise unaccessible diesel was made accessible.

About the invention I doubt anyone other than the space bureaus will be interested, as most ordinary people will get grossed out by the thought and expected smell of the process.

sumdude

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
It would make more sense to use this technology in a combination waste treatment/power plant scenario: basically an unlimited fuel source to power turbines to make electricity. They could sell the ammonia byproduct to companies that could use it.

sumdude

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
It would make more sense to use this technology in a combination waste treatment/power plant scenario: basically an unlimited fuel source to power turbines to make electricity. They could sell the ammonia byproduct to companies that could use it.

kansur0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Water doesn't have as many minerals as urine. You separate H20 and you get hydrogen and oxygen. Urine or the structure of urea has residuals of Carbon and Nitrogen that have to go somewhere (that when built up will produce solids). So...there will probably have to be some sort of filter to catch these waste products.

So...where are they going to store all the piss cakes?

EntropyMu

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
It's much more likely that waste treatment plants would become power plants, and hydrogen would be produced and transported to gas stations like gasoline is now. You wouldn't be "filling up" your car. The leftover solids would probably make a decent basis for fertilizer.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
This sounds like a good idea obviously but probably 10-20 years in the making. It's rather unfortunate that apparently there are so many obstacles in splitting hydrogen from someone's urine :/ but hell when they do it, it's free fuel!

G

Actually probably the first article in a while that made me chuckle here and there!

I highly doubt that an engine's internals will remain clean after some loads of urine have been dumped in them.
Urine always leaves a residu once it vaporizes. This residue could attach itself to the internals of the (urine) tank, electrical contacts, or in the exhaust, making the engine less efficient with every mile driven,ultimately clogging the exhaust, and isolating electrolytic pinns inside the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.