Researchers: Video Games May Not Improve Cognition

Status
Not open for further replies.

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Well, the coin has 2 sides right? so if games can't improve cognition or anything they certainly can't cause a Norway like tragedy, irrelevant of what the chap claims right?

G

I call BS on this BS claim. I can say for myself that things like my situational awareness greatly increased when I started playing FPS games.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]I call BS on this BS claim. I can say for myself that things like my situational awareness greatly increased when I started playing FPS games.[/citation]
...lol, and how did you determine that?

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]I call BS on this BS claim. I can say for myself that things like my situational awareness greatly increased when I started playing FPS games.[/citation]

Don't know if the FPS games are helping me - I don't play THAT many FPSs, but I cay say that they're not making anything worse for me! :D

Positive stuff I got from gaming:

1) Learned most of my English from games like GTA: SA where characters talk a lot
2) Many hours of gaming enjoyment which by far surpass any other "leisure" activity people are doing (FB, movies, Twitter and other BS)
3) If I wasn't a gamer, I probably wouldn't care and wouldn't know about PC hardware and software

Negative stuff:

1) Unhealthy hatred for consoles, tablets and similar "consumer" devices
2) Healthy hatred for Apple
3) Healthy hatred for pre-built bloated PCs from inferior manufacturers
4) Spamming quotes and analogies from various games makes non-gamers look at me like at some kind of fool, while quoting movies and books is for some reason widely accepted and encouraged xD
5) I keep forgetting that people IRL generally speak and write worse English than video game characters

I'd say that the positive outweighs the negative by far! Hence I don't care if the games improve cognition or not... haven't even heard about it before this article.

sgtopmobile

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010

I TOTALLY agree with you, i`ve never played a lot of FPS games but i am extremely good at them ( average 3.64 K/D ration in blackops) its like when you start playing them is like you are there you fell the adrenaline flowing in your blood and you start thinking and reacting FASTER and BETTER you OWN THE GAME... them you renember its just game you finish the match and go to study :(

G

Maybe this is because they are doing studies on the popular games of today, unlike the studies from years ago that would have researched the popular games at that time. If you were to tell me that playing mindless iPhone and Facebook games offers no intellectual benefits and simply rots your brain, I would be pretty quick to believe you.

Maybe it isn't gaming that's the problem. Maybe it's just the industry failing to create any kind of intellectually stimulating game.

Trashit

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
[citation][nom]tlm man[/nom]Maybe this is because they are doing studies on the popular games of today, unlike the studies from years ago that would have researched the popular games at that time. If you were to tell me that playing mindless iPhone and Facebook games offers no intellectual benefits and simply rots your brain, I would be pretty quick to believe you.Maybe it isn't gaming that's the problem. Maybe it's just the industry failing to create any kind of intellectually stimulating game.[/citation]

Remove Farmville players from your study;
repeat study.

Nuff said :p

G

[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]...lol, and how did you determine that?[/citation]
How else would I? I'm more aware of the things that are happening around me IRL than before I started playing games. Whether that be walking through the supermarket, down the street, or driving my car. It's a cognitive ability that was improved through playing video games.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]How else would I? I'm more aware of the things that are happening around me IRL than before I started playing games. Whether that be walking through the supermarket, down the street, or driving my car. It's a cognitive ability that was improved through playing video games.[/citation]
Okay, so you're disputing the results of a scientific study by using potentially unrelated self-perceived increases in awareness as evidence to the contrary? Alright.

utengineer

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
"Video Games May Not Improve Cognition" Duh! Video games are programs. The are written and designed so the USER is forced to only do a unique thing to get the PROGRAMMED result. Video games are WROTE learning at best. Sorry pwn'ers, if you get high scores...it is because you played and practiced more than the next guy. You really don't have to think hard.

Try getting an 'A' in Differential Equations and Thermodynamics, going to football practice and almost passing out from running, reading a 500 page classic in one week and writing a paper on it the last day, attending to your heart-broken girlfriend...whose dad died, and working 30 hours that SAME WEEK at a law firm. That my friends, makes you develop cognitive skills that outweigh sitting quietly at your desk manipulating a PROGRAM that says shoot here, you get a kill. So what if you trolled some wasteland and collected jewels to increase your magic points. It is a program and tells you what to do and YOU DO IT. That does not take much thought.

G

"Duh! Video games are programs. The are written and designed so the USER is forced to only do a unique thing to get the PROGRAMMED result. Video games are WROTE learning at best. Sorry pwn'ers, if you get high scores...it is because you played and practiced more than the next guy. You really don't have to think hard."

Maybe single player games, but multiplayer games require you to out skill and out think your opponent. This is just as much a learned ability as training for sport etc.

Your week sounds like a load of BS. Who the fuck studies math, classics and is interning at a law firm,

G

Multi-player games are certainly NOT programmed in the way you describe and as with a GUN point here shoot and it dies, correlates DIRECTLY to real life...so..yeah. you need to learn more, maybe take a psychology course or some eastern philosophy before spouting your anti game rhetoric of hate...moron.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]alyoshka[/nom]Well, the coin has 2 sides right? so if games can't improve cognition or anything they certainly can't cause a Norway like tragedy, irrelevant of what the chap claims right?[/citation]

Here, here +100

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Research have also indicated that researcher paid by corporations always sway their views to their "masters" and in the process sell their souls to them!

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
My cousin developed immense cognitive abilities whilst bunking off school to play Space Invaders. We often called it 'The Third Eye'. His mastership skills finally came to and end when one of his friends saw him through a glass window, and grassed him up.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
I just hope these so called researchers are not getting grant money, you know, like the ones who got tax payer money to get a shrimp to run on a treadmill. Total waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.