Solved! Reset BIOS w/o exiting Windows? HELP!

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
Help! I need to reset the (AMI) BIOS on my tablet to its Default Settings, but I must do it FROM Windows (where touchscreen input still works.) Doing it from bios is not an option!

I inadvertently disabled the USB ports in BIOS (disabled XHCI). I can get into BIOS, but can't do anything once I'm there b/c the keyboard is disabled and the touchscreen does not work in BIOS mode.

There is no Reset button on the tablet. Not even screws to open it up to access any jumpers.

Is there a way to reset the BIOS to it's defaults from Windows?

I remember long ago in my WinXP days it was possible to flash the BIOS from Windows, so I'm hoping there is still a way to simply reset it the same way (there are no BIOS images for download on the manufacturers' website.)

TIA

Solution
Which tablet is it? Only way you would be able to flash bios from within windows is if there is an option like that on the tablets web site, its not a function built into windows 10. Since you say there are no images that is a problem.

I wonder if it has a cmos battery, as removing that for a few minutes would reset bios as well. CMOS saves the settings for the PC.

Colif

Distinguished
Which tablet is it? Only way you would be able to flash bios from within windows is if there is an option like that on the tablets web site, its not a function built into windows 10. Since you say there are no images that is a problem.

I wonder if it has a cmos battery, as removing that for a few minutes would reset bios as well. CMOS saves the settings for the PC.

Solution

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

Thanks for the reply.

Here is the product link: https://www.insigniaproducts.com/pdp/NS-P11W7100/5255800

No option in the specs regarding the BIOS/CMOS. I suspect it uses the tablet's own rechargeable battery to maintain the CMOS since the case was not designed to be opened such that any coin cell could be replaced, and the internal battery is nearly impossible to drain 100% without destroying it (would never recharge if you did.)

I found some software that didn't work called "CMOS de-animator", so it looks like I'll have to open the thing up. :ouch:

I'm going to try opening it based on some photos/instructions found online (once I work up the nerve. - Update: Crap! My tablet doesn't have any screw-holes as shown in the photo!)

I found this photo supposedly showing how to clear the "CMOS", but since clearing the CMOS via software didn't work, I'm not sure simply doing that one thing is enough. I'll also try disconnecting the power to the MoBo.

I would LOVE to figure out a way to add my own "reset button" once I have it open so I never have to go through this again. :??: