Solved! Resetting a Laptop to sell

Jan 1, 2019
I have a gaming laptop I am wanting to sell. It is currently running on Windows 10, but was running windows 8 when I purchased it around 4 years ago. By doing the "factory reset" option with the "clean all drives," will it revert back to windows 8 or windows 10? And is this method a secure way to wipe my drives so that the next buyer cannot recover my data?

Additionally, my laptop has a SSD and a HDD, will this wipe the data off both types?

Solution
To make sure it stays with W10, go into Control Panel>User Accounts. Create a new account and name it User and give it Administrator status.

When you've transferred all your persnal files you want to keep, restart and log in to the User account. Back in User Accounts, delete your account and select to kill all the files and folder. That way all the App Data goes out the window and nothing can trace back to you.

Just to be certain, go to c:windows\system32 and right click on the CleanMgr. Choose RunAs Administrator and tick all the boxes that shows up in a list of things to clear out.

Restart again and you'll all clear to sell it. I do this frequently for customers and Recuva or REST2514 can't recover any useable fles...
To make sure it stays with W10, go into Control Panel>User Accounts. Create a new account and name it User and give it Administrator status.

When you've transferred all your persnal files you want to keep, restart and log in to the User account. Back in User Accounts, delete your account and select to kill all the files and folder. That way all the App Data goes out the window and nothing can trace back to you.

Just to be certain, go to c:windows\system32 and right click on the CleanMgr. Choose RunAs Administrator and tick all the boxes that shows up in a list of things to clear out.

Restart again and you'll all clear to sell it. I do this frequently for customers and Recuva or REST2514 can't recover any useable fles. They list them but they're totally dead.

Solution