RIAA: Boston University Grad to Pay $675,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Who wrote the law that allows them to take $150,000 per song? I bet if you were charged with distributing a whole album, you'd make as much as the artist!!!

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
So this guy pirated some songs and look what those asshole big business frakkers did to him.Sure he was a thief but he got more screwed than I did when I was arrested 22 years ago for Cocaine Trafficking and did Federal Prison time.I got out of jail and stopped my hard drug abuse and it was over with.This poor guy for stealing a few songs will have to go bankrupt and have his credit destroyed.

I do hope that many of you folks out there will just stop buying anything from a large label and/or RIAA Signed Artists.There are so many bands and artists out there like my own art that will love it for you to listen to them and WE DONT SUE !!!
My website is www.bigmeathammer.com which is the name of my maine punk band.Big Meat Hammer has been around for 20 years now.i have quite a lot of free music for you all of it at 320k.Go to the archives page and you will find BMH plus 3 or 4 other bands i have done and we are talking full LP's worth of stuff at 320k mp3.All for free.
Support Local Music !!!
Support Independent Art !!!!
Down With the MAFIAA !!!
Down With Corporate Lables !!!!
TAKE BACK THE MUSIC NOW !!!!!

ColMirage

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Pheh, that's just a big effing joke. I can't believe they're allowed to charge such astronomically enormous amount of money for so little.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
you know something, given the opportunity someone will give the riaa something to really think about...all the people they are pissing off...and the potential for a one of those people to kill off the riaa one person at a time.... honestly if it is legal to buy the music for .99 a song, then the fine should be 4 times that plus legal fees.... not make it something no one will ever be able to pay.

god knows i know people with over 12,000 songs via file sharing, why not og after people like that...not some little guy with a few songs.

kaby

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
675k is a bit hefty for 30 songs, but the guy is undoubtedly a knob and should be fined to some extent. I personally would fine 1 dollar per song per person he was verified sharing with to pay back the record labels and then have like a 500 dollar fine for stealing. Nothing that is going to put him in the poorhouse but something that will definitely make him and others think twice about doing it again. I do some recording and I would be pissed to if people were stealing my works, but I would just be after getting retail price for what was taken, not ruining anothers life.

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]Dekasav[/nom]Who wrote the law that allows them to take $150,000 per song? I bet if you were charged with distributing a whole album, you'd make as much as the artist!!![/citation]I assume the maximum penalty was written to allow for punishing bootleggers. If you obtain and distribute a CD to thousands or tens of thousands of people, it's legal to be liable for up to $150k per song. But the RIAA is using that as a though it were a suitable fine for individuals downloading and uploading songs for personal use and small circles of friends. The law does not differentiate between bootleggers and personal-use pirates, and the RIAA keeps wanting to put the fear in people.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Finally, justice has been served. I doubt that $675k even covers the RIAA's expert witness fees, much less anything else.

I wonder what evidence the RIAA uses to suggest to its supporters that these lawsuits are actually benefitting the industry any. Napster and Kazaa were replaced by BitTorrent and others. People have been trading MP3s over IRC well before Napster, and as far as I can tell not one single IRC user has been accused by the RIAA. Sure IRC is dying, and maybe ISPs will be forced to shutdown IRC like they did Usenet, but until then, I say have at it young pirateers!

P.s. I do not condone nor encourage illegal activity. My statements are made for entertainment purposes only. I do not assume any liability for those mistaking my comments for anything other than entertainment.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Piss on the legal disclaimer...I pirate everything not nailed down. Simply in spite of the RIAA. I'll never buy a song or movie again.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Well, lesson of the day (and many previous days):

RIAA = cocks

I love how, instead of going after and fining a large group of "pirates", they decide to just focus on one guy and fuck him over hard. Just a couple bullshit cases like this a year and they've covered all the losses from pirating altogether, lol.

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
The gallivanting cabal of black-robed fascists (some people falsely call them "judges" and as usual when they are around justice is absent) strikes again.

deuketc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
this kind of case makes me want to avoid music all together. and it doesn't make me want to purchase music at all!!

Status
Not open for further replies.