RIM Announces Android App Support for PlayBook

Status
Not open for further replies.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Why not just get the Android Market App and use that to obtain further Android apps?

Better yet....why not just get an Android tablet??? Coming from a BB Storm to my Droid Incredible I can soundly say I am done with RIM.....

Unperson

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
I applaud RIM's intention to support Android (which I believe is a sound survival mechanism for them to employ), but I am concerned with the execution. An "app player" sounds like android apps won't have full access to the hardware.

As it is, some android apps seem to struggle with resources. I've no doubt apps (and their requirements) will run smoother as the tablet/android universe evolves, but in the present environment, running apps within another bubble seems.. ..iffy.

I wouldn't pre-order a Playbook based on this news, but I'll be watching for reviews now that Playbook just got a raised eyebrow out of me.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Don't care its to small.. would prefer a 10 inch tablet not something as small as my in car stereo monitor. I also don't buy phones to use the apps so its unlikely ill use them on a tablet. Ill likely have to get a windows tablet with full OS to get the functionality that i want from one. So far none of the other "brands" have done what i need yet.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]Don't care its to small.. would prefer a 10 inch tablet not something as small as my in car stereo monitor. I also don't buy phones to use the apps so its unlikely ill use them on a tablet. Ill likely have to get a windows tablet with full OS to get the functionality that i want from one. So far none of the other "brands" have done what i need yet.[/citation]

So what is that functionality you require from a tablet? A keyboard, Blue-Ray drive, 30" display, 1Tb Storage? Maybe you should consider a desktop or notebook and they cost less.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Was actually thinking of just breaking down for a laptop :/ one thing though is vary appealing about the android tablets though assuming i can tether to my phone and use its internet. The google navigator would sway me a bit more towards them if i can like i said use my phones internet instead of having to get yet a 3rd internet subscription. I would like to actually run full programs :/ not just apps. I might have missed it but i haven't seen any tablets that allow this sort of tethering :/ 1280x1024 res would be nice to :) i don't actually care if its wide screen but i would like a nice high res.

Perhaps im just to picky I know ill catch flack for this but i would like IE on it i have used all the other mobile browsers and IE was the least of a pain not to mention the ability to run flash inside the browser was awesome. Having nice large storage actually would be something that i would like though. 10 inch display at least. ability to play blue ray 720p quality video perhaps maybe not a BR drive. But only way to get a windows tablet that i have seen is by using an atom processor which I'm not exactly thrilled about. I would prefer ARM. All Sorts of connectors USB 3 firewire hdmi perhaps a display port? i want it to connect to anything (bluetooth a given) Would be nice to be able to VPN to my home computer. I think i want more out of a tablet then they will likely be able to do :/

The playbook has a couple things i want.. its just to small :(

ImagineTek

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
Not to be pedantic, but I agree with Zingam above. If you're looking for full OS functionality from a device, then a tablet is not what you should be looking at. It's no good criticising them for failing at something when it was never intended to provide that functionality in the first place. There's a plethora of notebooks, netbooks and swivel tops to cover that.

I think what tablets do they do well, and it's for the user to be clear on that and to decide if that fits into the needs they have.

gruntlord6

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Its important to note the article stated IT CANNOT RUN NATIVE ANDROID APPS. It makes it easy for developers to port, that's it.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
No i agree its likely a pad will never at least not do what i want for sometime. I didn't mean to criticize pads for not being able to do vary specific things i just am not a big app person. I was more meaning to convey that its ability to use apps wasn't vary important to me. I just would love a small tablet formf actor pc that can at least tether to my phone and use its net have a browser on it that i would like and perhaps at the vary least have a mobile office program on it that will allow me to edit my websites word and excel. pdf and flash. I realize i ask a lot of current and near future tablets but almost all of the other options are larger and less portable then i would like :( I may end up looking into netbooks since laptops are a lot more larger then i really want. Hell a tablet phone would be awesome. since i never use my phone with out a headset it would work pretty good. but blah i don't see this happening anytime soon. Only pad i would actually bash is the ipad :p i don't like being told what i can do with what i buy :/

sinfocomar

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
You can sync, backup and upgrade your Blackberry completely with Outlook or other PIMs with the Blackberry Desktop Software (free).
Blackberry Enterprise Server for Exchange and Lotus Notes (Domino) is free for 50 users or less.
I'm a huge fan of Blackberries and excited as hell of the new stuff QNX's acquisition will bring to the platform. The Android app support anouncement can only sweeten the deal. It'll bring the best of both worlds and maybe will pave the way for a future merger between both platforms.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]sinfocomar[/nom]You can sync, backup and upgrade your Blackberry completely with Outlook or other PIMs with the Blackberry Desktop Software (free).[/citation]

It doesn't sync over the air though--at least not with Exchange, without BES. The now discontinued redirector sucks as well, since it doesn't really sync the emails, it just forwards them and forces you to leave your PC running. Not to mention there's no way to force security options from the domain policy, or even to initiate a remote wipe if the phone is stolen.

[citation]Blackberry Enterprise Server for Exchange and Lotus Notes (Domino) is free for 50 users or less. [/citation]

Umm...no it isn't. Where did you find that info?

Speaking of, EVERYONE ELSE supports Activesync. This issue alone is destroying BB's usage in the business world. Why any IT department would decide to waste storage space, server resources, and throw money at a platform that is completely unnecessary is beyond me. Back in the day BB's were leading the charge for business apps and compatibility, but their methods are now antiquated and unnecessary.

[citation]I'm a huge fan of Blackberries and excited as hell of the new stuff QNX's acquisition will bring to the platform. The Android app support anouncement can only sweeten the deal. It'll bring the best of both worlds and maybe will pave the way for a future merger between both platforms.[/citation]

I agree that supporting Android apps is a smart move on their part. However, I don't see any reason to pick Blackberry devices over Android devices, except maybe personal preference for RIM's UI.

I realize this sounds like a bash-fest, but I don't mean it that way. I'm only wondering--what makes RIM so attractive now that so many others have surpassed them?

sinfocomar

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
Check out the free version of BES called BES Express http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/business/server/express/ it actually supports up to 2000+ users for free.

Activesync is very limited (only one inbox, one calendar, data packet size...). RIM's sync protocol is by far the best. There is no other platform that's as secure and available worldwide. You can travel anywhere and get Blackberry data services. Thats why it's still the main choice for corporations and businesses.

RIM also has a solution to those that have Blackberries and also Activesync based smartphones having purchased Alt-N and its flagship product MDaemon http://www.altn.com/Products/MDaemon-Email-Server-Windows/. It supports both Activesync and BES right out of the box. It will soon emulate the Exchange Server protocol making it the best all-a-round solution for small businesses. It's way cheaper than Exchange, supports thousands of users and you dont even need a Windows Server OS.

Regarding the UI comment, RIM acquired TAT (The Astonishing Tribe) a swedish design team famous for redesigning UIs for almost all major cellphone brands.

No other platform in existance has what RIM-Blackberry has going for them in terms of reliability and availability. There recent purchases will invigorate the apps and ui department where it is lacking. Playbook seems to be a winner... OS6.1 is almost out the door. I think they've covered all bases and they are commited... I hope the new strategies in place pay of and are not "too little to late"... time will tell

PS: I dont work for RIM and am not affiliated in any way. I'm just a tech enthusiast and this is just my opinion. Cheers!

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
This news is certainly enticing but not a deal-maker for me. However the Playbook has the screen size perfectly set up for my liking, so who knows.

alantlchan

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Why don't BlackBerry not writing some killer apps for its platform?
Opening Android Apps with App Player implies one or more extra layers to deal with.
Android Apps will probably run slower and less compatible than as in natively open in Android platform.
Moreover, will Google do anything to disallow that?

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I think i want more out of a tablet then they will likely be able to do :/

Lets just compare the xoom to you list of wants.

At least 720p video, plays flash, tether without an additional account, non Atom, 10 inch+, usb, bluetooth, VPN (althouth you meant VNC which is also supported).

Now lets check what the xoom doesn't have that you want.

Internet Explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.